Tried everything. At wit's end. Catalyst won't recognize HD5770 anymore! FIXED!!

May 12, 2018
I've practically tried everything I can think of and researched. Browsed a lot of threads on this forum and on AMD forums. I followed guides for clean uninstalling and reinstalling. (I used DDU in safe mode, AMD clean up utility, ran ccleaner etc...) Catalyst IS NOT showing graphics card options or recognizing my card but it installs fine...? I've tried three different versions of Catalyst...?

System is Windows 7 64 bit. GPU is Sapphire Radeon HD5770. One day resolution got really low after I thought of updating display driver from 14.12 Omega (Been working fine for years.) to whats listed on AMD's site as last stable version 15.7 (If i remember correctly.) Didn't take, so tried installing Crimson Beta for the kicks, didn't work either. So I did a system restore after trying reverting back to what I had 14.12 and the restore worked...For a little while.

Same thing happened again after a few days, started researching. Uninstalled drivers again using Revo Uninstaller, it cleaned up registry files and folders. Booted into safe mode, used DDU restarted, checked ALL Windows updates and installed everything it wanted me to. (There was an ATI HD5700 driver it installed along with about 40 other updates.) THEN I restarted again. Installed 14.2 Omega for windows 7 64 bit systems (Which I downloaded from Sapphires official site this time after trying AMD's version) STILL nothing.

Device manager recognizes my HD5700. I tried to "Update Driver" via device manager, windows said "Most up to date version already installed" So no go there...HWMonitor detects my card and I can game on 1080p and HWMonitor shows my GPU clocks increasing, and temps heating up as usual when gaming. BIOS is set to PCI-E. I can use my HDMI cable it works but Displayport cable doesn't (No input detected message.)

Anyway WHAT is going on? What else can I try? Is my card bad? If so how can I be gaming with it? Monitor is plugged into my GPU btw NOT motherboard! Should I uninstall the AMD driver windows installed? Try disabling the card in device manager and installing drivers via device manager after removing the windows installed AMD driver? Could I try my other PCI-E Slot? I've also unplugged the card and reseated it twice now also. What do I do?! Thank you for any advice!!

Solution
I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! Here is what I did:

After reading this thread here (Which saved my bacon):
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...bus-driver-requires-manually-updating.373501/

I noticed that I DID have the old 3GIO driver in device manager. And when I tried to update Catalyst manually to newer version, this must have been why I kept getting the "Windows has determined current driver is latest version" or whatever message. So I could never update it. So I DID update that 3GIO driver to Pci Bus then tried installing Catalyst again but this is what I did wrong: I tried installing via the .EXE install file. And after that didn't work I kind of just gave up.

BUT what did work is going into Device Manager, and...
May 12, 2018
Thank you that was going to be my next step. I will try partitioning another drive with a fresh windows 7 install and then after that...first thing install display driver for the card? Or do all Windows updates first? There would be so many updates to install!

Checked BIOS and there are updated BIOS drivers for my board according to ASUS. Should I try updating BIOS first or go with the Windows installation first?

Won't hurt to install an updated BIOS. First thing I install after a clean Windows setup is the chipset drivers, then network drivers, Chrome, IE 11 (since often downloading updates need a newer browser), then video/audio/card reader, etc.... So you would want to have drivers downloaded on a USB stick.

May 12, 2018
Thank you for the extra info. I still got my driver disc for my motherboard. I also found a Windows repair disc I created last year in January do they work well to revert the system? Or is it best to just start fresh? (Clearing a disc drive now in preparation for fresh install.)

Don't bother with the driver disk, download them from the vendor support site, your disk very likely has out of date versions. The repair disk may work to install a clean Windows setup if it's from a time the system was working normally.

May 12, 2018
Yeah the repair disc didn't help it only showed recent restore points.

I am almost done updating Win 7 with updates, focused only on critical and important updates. Do I NEED to install all optional updates? I read that for AMD cards and drivers it is a must to be safe to update all windows updates or maybe it said all important updates and critical only?

Okay HERE is some interesting information. Googled these ATI and AMD drivers Update is providing to download and came across two forum threads about people talking about how the windows updates to ATI and AMD have caused their Catalyst or whatever version of they're using to stop working. Here is one link, might help me:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/78961a70-e4aa-4a43-b126-44ad60e0f9db/amd-device-driver-update-through-windows-update-removes-working-display-adapter?forum=win10itprosetup

I haven't installed all the AMD updates but one so far. An update for "AMD SMBus" windows didn't provide info on it.

Maybe I should install 14.12 Omega now before I bother with these windows AMD updates... Hmmm?

Also Asus site didn't provide any updated chipset driver/ethernet driver for my mobo, only a Bios update. I'll dig into this further later though.

May 12, 2018
Another question: Do I let the drivers install to the default folder C:/AMD or should I change it to C:/Program Files/AMD? Does it matter? I read Windows automatically accesses the needed files and folders where ever they get installed to.

Also, when I install it, should I select ONLY CCC and maybe install manager? Or should I do them all like the audio drivers as well?

Let the drivers install in the default folders.

You can turn off Win 10 drivers updates http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

May 12, 2018
Oops that thread was about windows 10. You caught that I didn't haha...I'm on windows 7 64 bit. But anyway I think I'll skip the amd updates and just install Catalyst next, I've been itching to get this installed to see if it works since two days ago! Thank you for your help and I'll update this thread when I'm done.

May 12, 2018
Well got Catalyst installed...Now only getting a message that says "AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are no configurable settings for Catalyst Control Center."

My device manager shows "Standard VGA graphics adapter"

I didn't install the AMD HD 5700 update Windows Update was showing me or the other ATI "Media" update as I thought installing those updates might have been what messed it up in the first place. Now that I'm getting this issue after installing 14.12 I've decided I have no choice but to just install the HD 5700 update from Windows, reboot, see what happens, then try the other update :/

Maybe its time to look for a new card to try seems like that's all that's left for me to try.

May 12, 2018
Yeah its weird that's what I did. Installed AMD 14.12 Omega full driver suite, then rebooted and it still showed "VGA Adapter" as the display adapter in device manager. So the Catalyst software didn't update or recognize the card I guess...? But then, I reinstalled the AMD display driver for HD5700 off Windows Update, and then it shows HD 5700 as my display adapter. And I get 1920x1080 resolution as my new max (The card easily does 4k).

After installing the Windows AMD display driver for the card, Catalyst now, at least, opens like it did before. But still no graphic card options.

Should the card be visible somewhere in BIOS? I have my BIOS option set to PCI-E. I guess I can try the other PCI-E slot but I'd have to unplug all my USB connectors on the mobo to get it to fit. Worth a shot I guess.

I guess it's possible the card could still function at lower settings and without drivers, yet there could be a problem with some chip or capacitor whatever, on the card causing a problem with the hardware detection...?

May 12, 2018
I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! Here is what I did:

After reading this thread here (Which saved my bacon):
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...bus-driver-requires-manually-updating.373501/

I noticed that I DID have the old 3GIO driver in device manager. And when I tried to update Catalyst manually to newer version, this must have been why I kept getting the "Windows has determined current driver is latest version" or whatever message. So I could never update it. So I DID update that 3GIO driver to Pci Bus then tried installing Catalyst again but this is what I did wrong: I tried installing via the .EXE install file. And after that didn't work I kind of just gave up.

BUT what did work is going into Device Manager, and updating the drivers for my 5700 manually and it worked! I browsed to the downloaded file of 15.2 and Windows finally took it! :D

So if it helps anybody out there: Make sure you have the Pci Bus driver installed under System Devices in Device Manager before trying to install newer version of Catalyst (That thread has the instructions.) After that is updated, manually install the Catalyst version you've selected.

Solution