Question Tried Everything on the web looking for help

Jun 7, 2019
Been having this problem for a few days now and have spent the last few days trying to fix it on my own through searching the web. BSOD Video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I tried everything from reinstalling graphic drivers with ddu to even factory resetting my laptop and to no avail the BSOD is still coming up.BSOD image

As you have already done a factory restore. The next step would be to download Windows from MS. Create a bootable USB flash drive to install Windows. Using the Media Creation Tool. Then wipe the drive and perform a clean install.

You can also create a Linux live USB. Ubuntu is probably the easiest to get setup. See if your problems exist in Linux.

Also make a bootable rescue USB with Hiren's BootCD PE. Run Memtest86+ from the boot options. RUFUS is a good utility for making a bootable flash drive. You may need to enable Legacy boot options in your BIOS.

As you've already done a factory restore. The problem is more likely hardware related not software (drivers). Memtest86+ will check your system RAM just in case. Although the more likely culprit would be your GPU or VRAM.

Jun 7, 2019
As you have already done a factory restore. The next step would be to download Windows from MS. Create a bootable USB flash drive to install Windows. Using the Media Creation Tool. Then wipe the drive and perform a clean install.

You can also create a Linux live USB. Ubuntu is probably the easiest to get setup. See if your problems exist in Linux.

Also make a bootable rescue USB with Hiren's BootCD PE. Run Memtest86+ from the boot options. RUFUS is a good utility for making a bootable flash drive. You may need to enable Legacy boot options in your BIOS.

As you've already done a factory restore. The problem is more likely hardware related not software (drivers). Memtest86+ will check your system RAM just in case. Although the more likely culprit would be your GPU or VRAM.
Thank you will try this out. If it is a hardware issue and it is gpu im assuming there won’t be anything i can do other than get a new computer since you cant change a laptops gpu correct?

Thank you will try this out. If it is a hardware issue and it is gpu im assuming there won’t be anything i can do other than get a new computer since you cant change a laptops gpu correct?

Well if it is the GPU. You can always try the oven baking method. As it is often a solder issue. You may get a few weeks or a few years. I've done it a few times to save dead laptops and graphics cards. My current Dell 7559 had a bad GPU and it fixed it. Be sure to remove everything you possibly can from the motherboard and follow instructions carefully. Especially shielding any plastic and gradual cooldown without moving it.

If you have a heat gun. You can more specifically target the GPU and VRAM.

This is a last resort. Once you've concluded a part is dead. It is something to try to bring it back to life rather than pitch it.

There are many different opinions on temps. I go with the higher end of the spectrum at 385F (~200C). As it will reflow the solder better. Thus improving the odds of success. There's just a higher chance of ancillary damage of melting plastic. Which is why shielding is important.

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016
Been having this problem for a few days now and have spent the last few days trying to fix it on my own through searching the web. BSOD Video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I tried everything from reinstalling graphic drivers with ddu to even factory resetting my laptop and to no avail the BSOD is still coming up.BSOD image
What gpu does your laptop have? And what temp does the gpu run at normally and when does it happen, when browsing the web/basic task or gaming?

Jun 7, 2019
What gpu does your laptop have? And what temp does the gpu run at normally and when does it happen, when browsing the web/basic task or gaming?
Laptop is an MSI GS63VR 6RF
Intel core i7- 6700HQ 2.6GHZ
Geforce Gtx 1060 6gb
16gb ram
The weirdest thing happened i tried using my computer the other day and try playing games again even though i knew it would fail but it randomly started working again fine without any problems whatsoever now 3 days later the problem is starting again i have no idea whats going on anymore whether its a hardware issue or a driver issue.
As for the temperatures i get around 70C on my gpu when playing games and around 80C for my CPU at idle they are both around 50C

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016
Laptop is an MSI GS63VR 6RF
Intel core i7- 6700HQ 2.6GHZ
Geforce Gtx 1060 6gb
16gb ram
The weirdest thing happened i tried using my computer the other day and try playing games again even though i knew it would fail but it randomly started working again fine without any problems whatsoever now 3 days later the problem is starting again i have no idea whats going on anymore whether its a hardware issue or a driver issue.
As for the temperatures i get around 70C on my gpu when playing games and around 80C for my CPU at idle they are both around 50C

hmmm what I might suggest is putting new thermal paste on the cpu an gpu, and even I would google for the most stable driver for your gpu or laptop. If you ever have the issue pop up again

I had a RX 480 that would have really terrible performance and it would blue screen while I game I don't recall the error code but I do remember it had nothing to do with it the real issue. I thought it was some kind a defect at first because it was used and it was cheap off ebay and was stated used but working. Then I started doing some trouble shooting I installed HW monitor and look for a driver that is stable and even reinstalled windows. But I noticed something In HW monitor it will cause the system to crash at 90C-95c even if it spiked to it, And people on forums say it normal or ok since it was a reference cooler but I had a strong feeling that the cause. And as soon as I put new thermal paste I had no more blue screen issues and performance issues and runs at It runs at 80-85c while I game depending if my ac is on.

So what I'm thinking is it mite be spiking to a high temp that mite cause it to blue screen and that is caused by some kind of throttle that makes it unstable or it a fail safe.

I fairly certain you hardware is ok since it ran fine that day.

Last edited: