Tried Installing new ram and now my monitor isn't getting a signal!

Aug 24, 2018
I just recently bought 16gb of ram to upgrade from my original 4gbs, while installing the new one my computer made 3 beeps and would shut off on its own. I switched back in the old 4gbs to determine whether it was just a compatibility problem, but when i turned my computer back on with the 4gb I noticed some smoke and immediately turned the power off. Now my computer refuses to send a signal to my monitor whether I use the new or old ram stick. I didn't see any scorch marks on the motherboard or ram so I dont know what the problem is.(I assume the smoke was a bad sign) Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Well it seems you fried something somehow during that process which is kind of unfortunate. I've seen this happen before. The Motherboard VRM may be fried or you blew one of the capacitors out. Not because you did something wrong, mainly just because shit happens at unexpected moments. Sorry man.

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Well it seems you fried something somehow during that process which is kind of unfortunate. I've seen this happen before. The Motherboard VRM may be fried or you blew one of the capacitors out. Not because you did something wrong, mainly just because shit happens at unexpected moments. Sorry man.

Solution