[SOLVED] Tried migrating my windows install and data now I can’t boot

Jun 11, 2020
So I recently bought a WD M.2 drive and I wanted to move all my data from my old ssd to my new one but when I attempted it I got an error saying that no operating system was detected. After following the advices here I got the windows logo before the screen went black and I could only see my cursor when I moved it. I did a fresh windows install in an attempt to use an old recovery point but it could would not let me install it. I also tried using macrium reflect to make a recovery from the data that was still on my old drive but that just got me back to the no operating system issue. If anybody has any clue on how I can fix this I’d be most appreciative.

sorry for any misspellings I had to do this from my phone due to obvious issues

Solution
Your new WD Blue SN550 is a NVMe drive meaning you will need to have the drive GPT partitioned and the BIOS needs to be set to CSM of UEFI. Macrium Reflect may have a method of doing this (switching from MBR to GPT as part of a clone. If not WD also has migrating software you should check out.

If your WD Blue SN550 is partitioned MBR, it would be worth a try to convert it to GPT. This is easily done, then change your BIOS if necessary and see if it will boot.

If all this seems like too much, you may want to do a clean install to make it worth properly. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
Jun 11, 2020
What is the model of your new WD m.2 drive? What did you use to move your data to the new drive? Do you know if the previous drive was MBR or GPT partitioned?

It was a WD Blue SN550. I used Macrium reflect. It was MBR. I’ve got a windows install drive so what I’m thinking is do a fresh windows install but I can’t figure out how to recover from either the old ssd or the ISO

Your new WD Blue SN550 is a NVMe drive meaning you will need to have the drive GPT partitioned and the BIOS needs to be set to CSM of UEFI. Macrium Reflect may have a method of doing this (switching from MBR to GPT as part of a clone. If not WD also has migrating software you should check out.

If your WD Blue SN550 is partitioned MBR, it would be worth a try to convert it to GPT. This is easily done, then change your BIOS if necessary and see if it will boot.

If all this seems like too much, you may want to do a clean install to make it worth properly. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution
Jun 11, 2020
Going from SATA to NVMe can be problematic.
If you return the system back to original config without the new WD, does it boot up?
The clone operation should NOT have messed with the old drive.
I have tried disabling the nvme in bios and it still doesn’t work. I have not tried taking it out as it is located underneath my gpu