Question Tried Most Things - Windows 7 failed on two different SSD

Aug 20, 2019
Hello there

I have been trawling the internet, and reading many posts on here, but can't seem to find an answer to the problems I have been facing.

Brief History

Windows 7 64 Pro was running perfectly until I installed the Microsoft August 13 KB4512506. After restart I got the Windows is Loading files page. Tried the recovery on the installation CD, which tried but failed. When I tried it again I received a message telling me it could not run because it was not compatible with the installed OS?

So I tried the cmd of fixmbr etc. One weird thing was it found one instance of Win 7 and asked if I wanted to add it, I clicked Y and it told me the resource could not be found.

So I bit the bullet, ordered a new SSD and cradle. Installed the new SSD with Win 7 64 pro, and used the cradle to recover all files from the previous SDD (all files were there)

So all was good, new SSD running nicely. I needed to partition the drive so used a program I have used numerous times before, it went into the cycle, and then I received the same error as before on the old SSD.

So I partitioned the drive prior to installation again and all was fine.

Yesterday I was installing programs again and some I do not want connecting to the internet so I use the ESET firewall to block them. I noticed that I kept receiving a message telling me that it could not create the rule. Then the system rebooted and once again I have the windows loading files page.

I am now running on an older HD which had a copy of Windows on which I imaged onto an SSD a few years ago. So far this is working fine, but I am not going to do anything on it other than use it for internet.

I tried everything I could, diskpart, fixmbr, a linux boot disc. Looking int the BIOS I do see Windows Boot which is selected, but ti doesn't work.

So I now wonder if the problem is hardware related. But then wonder if it isn't as the system is running now on the old HD and I can read all drives using the cradle.

The only thing I did not do after the system crashed after I tried to partition it was to completely wipe the SSD before install, so I assume it would have still had the old MBR on the hidden partition. I wondered if that confused it. But as this has happened on two SSD's over the last 7 days I must look elsewhere.

I did wonder if the CMOS battery might be the culprit, but as the crash happens when the machine is working I'm not sure. Also when I enter the BIOS all times and dates are correct and all settings are still as they were.

Maybe the MB is on the way out, bad track causing a moment interruption of signal, or bad memory stick.

Just wondered if anyone had similar at any point as it is confusing when you have all the symptoms and try all the cures that work..............but don't. It's almost as though the MBR is there but nothing else knows it is and no amount of CMDs make it better.

Many thanks indeed

Ralston18

Titan
Any reason for not upgrading to Windows 10?

I say that not to knock Windows 7 or Window's 7 users - I say that only as a matter of reality.

Microsoft wants Window 7 gone. Manufacturers and developers know that and are much less inclined to spend money on supporting Windows 7 be it drivers or software.

And Microsoft is making a minimal investment in continuing support - mostly only for security related matters.

Updates only look forward, not backwards for retroactive issues and problems.

Crashes: look in Event Viewer for error codes and warnings. You may be able to discover what went astray and hopefully find a fix.

Overall, Windows 7's is going to become more problematic. At some time in the future, or maybe even now, there will be no fix.

Aug 20, 2019
I have never seen this problem before. Did you clone the ssd, or was drive number 2 a fresh install when it repeated the error?
The first SSD that went wrong was an original that has been running pain free since 2017. The new one was a fresh install. First fresh install was before I tried to partition it, then a second fresh install. So in effect the error has occurred three times, once on original and twice on the new. I did have the old SSD plugged in via USB in a cradle to retrieve all files etc when new SSD crashed. Both SSD's do show show any errors when checking them via USB and at this moment I am running on everything with an old hard drive with an old copy of Windows 7 on it. I can easily reinstall Win 7 again on the new SSD, but am holding off in case someone had an idea of what the issue is. I did wonder if the original SSD has an issue that appears every so often, and with that being plugged in via USB it somehow had an affect, but then I wonder how could it have done. Maybe I out to reset the MB bios and fit a new battery any way. Computers are great until they hiccup. Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it

Aug 20, 2019
Did you ever try using a different SATA port or cable to see if either are faulty?
Thanks for the reply. I did try a different cable and a different port, should have included that in original post. What I am going to do is

Replace CMOS Battery and reset BIOS to defaults.

Then when install Windows I am going to delete all partitions from the SSD, before I left the existing 100mb partition on. This way there will be no old files at all, just in case they were confusing it. I will then run it without anything connected for a couple of days. Then I will add the printer and run it, then add another HD. It might just be a process of elimination. But I will post back progress as it might help someone else one day.

Really do appreciate the replies

Thanks for the reply. I did try a different cable and a different port, should have included that in original post. What I am going to do is

Replace CMOS Battery and reset BIOS to defaults.

Then when install Windows I am going to delete all partitions from the SSD, before I left the existing 100mb partition on. This way there will be no old files at all, just in case they were confusing it. I will then run it without anything connected for a couple of days. Then I will add the printer and run it, then add another HD. It might just be a process of elimination. But I will post back progress as it might help someone else one day.

Really do appreciate the replies
If you have access to another computer, you could download WSUS Offline 11.8 from http://www.wsusoffline.net/ to update Windows offline (disable ethernet or disconnect the cable) AFTER installing the newest motherboard and video card drivers.

Extract the folder from the archive to your hard drive, and then run updategenerator.exe and select the Windows 10 x64 if that is your version. In the options section below that pick Verify, Include service packs and C++ libraries and .net frameworks. Finally at the bottom you can choose to have it download directly to your hard drive and then move the client folder to a USB drive or set it up to download directly to a USB drive (need an 8GB to be safe.)

Run Updateinstaller.exe to install the Windows 10 updates. After the updater finishes installing updated, reconnect to the internet and let Windows run update to see what updates need to be installed.