Question Tried three microphones and two hardware pieces, audio quality is terrible with my computer

gliss1

Prominent
Oct 30, 2019
I have tried three different microphones with my computer: Zalman zm-mic1, Antlion Modmic, and Fifine k670. Every mic shares the characteristic that they are all quiet and have lots of white noise.

I've tried different things to fix this problem. For the Zalman I've moved it as close to my mouth as possible and reduce the gain to hopefully get as little white noise as possible. My voice still sounds distant and surrounded by white noise. I also tried background noise reduction but that just made my voice smaller.

With the Antlion it shared the same problems as the Zalman, which is surprising because it is a higher quality mic. It also had some occasional pops in the audio. I bought a ground loop noise isolator because that was recommended to me, but that had no effect. Then I caved in and bought the Antlion USB Sound card because I thought it might be a problem with my 3.5mm audio adapter. Again, there was no difference in audio quality.

Then finally I decided to buy a USB desk microphone because the audio quality would be higher than these previous two mics and I can maybe find a workaround with that. But while this microphone did improve my voice quality, it still had high amounts of white noise. My voice was pretty clear but it was shrouded by white noise and made it hard to hear me.

I think this might be a problem with my internals and electrical interference. I've tried two external hardware pieces to no avail and three different mics, all with the same problem. Anyone have any ideas to fix this?

Edit: here's my setup - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2FnpWZ

I'm using Windows 10.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Explain: "I've tried two external hardware pieces" - what were they and how did you try them? USB sound card(s) - verify.

Move all electrical wires away from the computer's audio and video cables. No tangles or wrapping cables together.

Open the computer's case and doublecheck that all components, cables, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Moving post to Home Audio & Theater category.