Tried to clone windows to my new ssd, Process was interupted and pc cant reboot.

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Just got a new Toshiba ssd. Started to clone my windows 10 to the ssd via the NTI Echo tool. The process stopped during "creating partition" or something. I had to restart my pc. After this I can not restart my pc. It just says NTI is starting.... and the booting loops

Before this it gives me 2 options: 1 Begin cloning proces and 2 abort cloning and reboot to windows. No matter which one I pick the boot proces stops and it tries to reboot again, and again and again. I have tried to remove the ssd but it will still not start.

Beginning of boot is writes ´Pata_platform´ is already registered, aborting...

Think the NTI cloning sofeware is somehow interrupting the boot proces

Cant find any help in the bios settings. And I did not make any recovery disks.

Hope there are some expert advise.

Solution
Thomas...
Truth to tell I am absolutely lost with what's going on with your system re the issue you raised involving a failed disk-cloning event.

Why in the world do you want "to create a boot disk/usb on another pc to use on (your) pc to make it boot"? In view of the info you previosly provided re this problem this makes no sense to me at all.

1. You have indicated you have a perfectly functioning boot drive.
2. You presumably have a perfectly good SSD that's intended to serve as the destination drive for the disk-cloning operation.

What more is needed in terms of source/destination drives?

Hard to tell what's happening. I've never used that particular disk-cloning program so can't comment on it.
Assume you're cloning the contents of your present HDD (boot drive?) to the Toshiba SSD. Further assume that the Toshiba SSD disk-space is sufficient to contain the total data contents on the HDD. That's right, isn't it?

Have you tried repeating the disk-cloning operation with the Toshiba-supplied software? Same results?

If so, try another disk-cloning program. There are quite a few freely available disk-cloning programs on the net. You don't need one tailored solely for a Toshiba SSD. Here's one...http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

The program I use is Casper - http://www.fssdev.com - but it's a commercial program selling for $49.99. But a 15-day trial edition is available and you may want to give that program a try.

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks for your reply. Problem is that I can not boot the pc. So I can not restart the cloning process or use another cloning program.

What I really need is to be able to start my pc with the ssd or my normal harddrive

Is there a reason you can't create a "boot / recovery disk" on another computer, from one of the various free versions of cloning software (macrium reflect, EaseUS ToDo backup, etc)?

that would boot you into linux with easy to follow cloning steps outlined

otherwise just plan on doing a fresh install

Well that's "a horse of a different color" as the saying goes. There are two critical elements in determining whether a disk-cloning operation should be taken in this situation...
1. The source disk (the disk you intend to clone) boots without incident and functions problem-free., and by & large you're perfectly satisfied with the source disk's basic performance.
2. The disk-space of the destination disk is sufficient to contain the source disk's cloned data.

If you're dealing with an unbootable defective or corrupt system to begin with, then you have to first remedy that situation before embarking on a disk-cloning operation.

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
The original disk is not corrupt. I was just trying to add a ssd disk to run windows, however the cloning process was interrupted. I did make sure, that I only cloned 80 out of the 128 which is the capacity of the ssd drive. But the proces apparantly stopped. Now it seems like its trying to restart the cloning process every time I boot...but it fails every time and reboot. There are only 2 options "continue cloning" or start windows normally. Both fails. So the cloning proces corrupted my normal boot. Even when I disconnect the ssd disk.

Was thinking that I have to find a way to make a boot CD/usb on another PC and try to boot with that. Am strugling to make a bootdisk though. Its wont boot from the disk I put in the drive.

I apparently misunderstood your previous comment about not being able to boot your system. I was under the impression that you were making reference to your current boot drive, the disk that will serve as the source disk for the disk-cloning operation. But now you indicate "the original disk is not corrupt.". Can I assume by "original disk" you mean your current boot drive? So there's no problem with your present boot drive - it boots without a problem and thereafter performs satisfactorily, right?

Assuming that's so, what is the capacity of that source disk and what are the total contents that are contained on that disk?

You've indicated the Toshiba SSD - your intended destination drive - is a 128 GB disk. So presumably the total data contents on your source disk is less than 128 GB, yes?

Anyway, if my understanding of your situation is correct is there any reason why you couldn't simply repeat the disk-cloning operation with your present d-c program or consider using another program in the event the cloning operation fails?

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Ia there a way to create a boot disk/usb on another pc to use on my pc to make it boot. have tried to download a number of different programs to create a bootdisk, but nothing works - or I don't know how to create the disk. Must admit that I am not an expert.

Thomas...
Truth to tell I am absolutely lost with what's going on with your system re the issue you raised involving a failed disk-cloning event.

Why in the world do you want "to create a boot disk/usb on another pc to use on (your) pc to make it boot"? In view of the info you previosly provided re this problem this makes no sense to me at all.

1. You have indicated you have a perfectly functioning boot drive.
2. You presumably have a perfectly good SSD that's intended to serve as the destination drive for the disk-cloning operation.

What more is needed in terms of source/destination drives?

Solution

Yes - google for macrium reflect, then download the freeware version, and create a boot/recovery disk - it will basically be a WinPE disk (Windows), and will boot you into linux (screens will appear similiar to windows) and the GUI is fairly intuitive - it will let you clone your OS drive to whatever drive you select

this is assuming you have another PC you can access or use, otherwise, a trip to the library to use theirs

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I am not an expert, and there might be a simple solution. My problem is that I can not boot my PC, the boot fails and restarts in a loop - thats why I thought about making the boot disk to get the pc started. Both drives was working until I used the NTI cloning tool. which corrupted the boot process.

Thomas Dzougov

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
SOLUTION TO PROBLEM
Managed to get it up and running with some help from a friend by the following steps:

1. Made a Windows copy to boot from (enabling me to enter command promt) - It still would'nt boot
2. Made a recovery from before attempting to clone - it still would'nt boot
3. Fixed MBR by the following steps:
/FixBoot. Writes a boot sector onto the system partition to start Windows
/ScanOs. Scans all disks for Windows installations and displays them to you.
/RebuildBcd. Scans all disks for Windows installations and prompts you to pick the ones you want to add to the BCD.

Then it booted correctly.

Will now try to clone partition with another system than nti. Think the issue with nti is that the partition was bigger than the ssd disk. Nti provides an option to remove some of the partition content from the clone - which caused it to fail.

Thanks for all your input.