Jan 16, 2020
Recently upgraded my GPU to an msi 2070 super, im now planning on upgrading my cpu but i cant figure out what would work in the socket.
I have an FCLGA1151 socket currently housing an Intel i7 6700k, it would be nice to move to an i7 9700k but i dont know if it would work with an Intel 100 Series/C230 chipset, if it helps i have an Prebuild Dell XPS 8900, only upgrades done to it has been gpu and adding an SSD

Some help would be greatly appreciated, if you need any more spec information let me know, thank you :D

Jan 16, 2020
You'll need new motherboard for i7 9700K
X570 motherboard to be precised
Do you know of any cpu upgrades that would be worth spending money for to keep the current mobo or do you think i should just buy an new mobo with a compatible socket with the cpu in bulk in the future instead of wasting money on an cpu upgrade that doesnt make much of an difference

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Do you know of any cpu upgrades that would be worth spending money for to keep the current mobo or do you think i should just buy an new mobo with a compatible socket with the cpu in bulk in the future instead of wasting money on an cpu upgrade that doesnt make much of an difference
It's kind of dilemma
But money wise, performance wise, value wise
i7 9700k compare with new Z390 will gain a lot of advantages combined with RTX 2070 even 2080 will do
Or buy gtx 1660 super and save some money for future build

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020
It's kind of dilemma
But money wise, performance wise, value wise
i7 9700k compare with new X570 will gain a lot of advantages combined with RTX 2070 even 2080 will do
Or buy gtx 1660 super and save some money for future build
Alright, time to start saving up for that motherboard and processor, planning on moving the prebuilt into my own case anyways. Thanks for your help

Ferimer

Distinguished
Do a bit more research if you're going to need to change anyway it may be beneficial to compare some AMD CPUS to Intel CPUs and see which one would be better for the price as you could possibly get a better CPU or one close enough for a better value

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have an FCLGA1151 socket currently housing an Intel i7 6700k, it would be nice to move to an i7 9700k but i dont know if it would work with an Intel 100 Series/C230 chipset
No.
6700K is LGA 1151, 9700k IS LGA 1151 V2 - which is omitted for some stupid reason; that mistake has confused quite a number of Skylake and Kaby Lake users...

There isn't anything significantly better than your 6700K - in the same socket, I mean, so you'd be looking at a new cpu/mobo/ram combo.

You'll need new motherboard for i7 9700K
X570 motherboard to be precised
Not even physically compatible. Try again.

Do you want to prioritize value and still get good performance?
-Ryzen 3600/X
-purchasing a cooler is optional, but most end up buying a cooler anyways due to the stock's noise levels - but it can be done for under $50USD
-Msi B450 MAX motherboard
-2x 8GB 3200-3600mhz memory
=https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q8X4RJ

Or perhaps performance > everything else?
-9700K/9900K
-can't go cheap on the cooler here. Seriously, don't even try it.
-Z390 motherboard
-2x 8GB ram - the frequency isn't as critical on an Intel build, but I'll pick 3200mhz anyways.
=https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ztDxgJ

Previously answered earlier this month:
And a solid discussion on the Dell forum:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8900-CPU-upgrade-help/td-p/6159766