Question Tried to install a new CPU. PC tries to boot stops immediately.

May 11, 2020
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right topic, as I'm not really sure what's wrong, but my problem came up when installing a new CPU.

A few years ago, I built this pc (ASRock b250m pro4 motherboard, i3-7100, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti). It is the second PC I’ve built in my life, but I really don’t know much about troubleshooting hardware problems and have just been lucky enough to not really run into any big issues…until today when I attempted to replace my i3 with an i7-6700k by removing the old CPU, cleaning the old thermal paste off of the intel stock cooling fan, seating the new processor and reinstalling the fan with a new application of thermal paste. Now when I try to start it up, the case light/fans, and CPU fan turns on for maybe 1-2 seconds and then shuts off (and keeps trying until I kill the power). I even tried cleaning off the fan again and re-seating the old i3 processor, but the same problem occurs.

I followed this guide https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/, including clearing the CMOS, to no avail, so it seems like from what I’m reading that I may have ruined the motherboard. I just wanted to check with you all to see if you think this is really what is wrong before I go out and buy a new one. Could I really have ruined a motherboard that was working perfectly fine just from the process I laid out in the last paragraph? I was grounding myself on the case, and I barely touched the mobo. Is there something I may be missing here as far as installing a new CPU goes?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Remove power cord from rear of PSU.

Remove the GPU entirely, drop to one stick of RAM, connect monitor to integrated graphics out of mainboard...

Remove BIOS battery...

Drop to one stick of RAM....

Drain residual charge to BIOS memory by holding power on switch for 15 seconds...

Reinstall battery

reconnect power

Try again...

(Food for thought: was power removed from rear of PSU or power switch at rear of PSU shutoff when the CPU swap was done? Not the same things as simply being shutdown, as the mainboard still has a few voltages present... There might be risk of CPU and/or mainboard damage if swapping a CPU in that condition)

May 11, 2020
Remove power cord from rear of PSU.

Remove the GPU entirely, drop to one stick of RAM, connect monitor to integrated graphics out of mainboard...

Remove BIOS battery...

Drop to one stick of RAM....

Drain residual charge to BIOS memory by holding power on switch for 15 seconds...

Reinstall battery

reconnect power

Try again...

(Food for thought: was power removed from rear of PSU or power switch at rear of PSU shutoff when the CPU swap was done? Not the same things as simply being shutdown, as the mainboard still has a few voltages present... There might be risk of CPU and/or mainboard damage if swapping a CPU in that condition)

Thank you for the quick reply. I am going to try these steps again as I did not try with a monitor connected to the integrated graphics, but just wanted to let you know that I did in fact have the power removed from the PSU when I swapped the cpu out

Edit: Unfortunately, no luck, but thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Last edited: