Question Tried to install new components and computer died

RCFlire

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
Hi all,

I ordered some new RAM (32Gb Corsair Vengeance 24MHz 2x16Gb) to upgrade my PC which had 8GB (got a deal on amazon). After the first batch came with only 1 working stick, I returned and got a replacement set sent to me. After installing this set, one stick at a time, both sticks also appeared to be dead, as the computer would refuse to even boot to BIOS and give an unhappy beep. So, I went back to the old RAM. Yet, when I tried to press the on button, absolutely nothing happened. No lights, no fans, nothing. Not even the PSU fan or lights worked. I don’t know how but did I kill my PC or is something weird going on (I’m pretty concerned Rn)...

I’m running an i5 6500, H170-Pro, 2x4Gb of Kingston 2133MHz RAM (I set the motherboard in BIOS to make all RAM 2133 so as to avoid issues with the new stuff as 2133 is max the mobo can run) and an 850W antec high current gamer PSU.

Any help would be very very greatly appreciated!!

Lutfij

Titan
Can you parse a link to the ram kit you purchased? Which BIOS version were you on prior to the system being unresponsive?

Given that this is a troubleshooting thread, please state your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is the PSU? You will need to breadboard the system with your older set of rams. Also, include a link to your old ram kit.

I don’t know how but did I kill my PC or is something weird going on (I’m pretty concerned Rn)...
Are you sure, you installed ram modules properly?
Did you hear click from ram slot after pressing module into the slot?
Which ram slots did you use?
Did you do any precautions to avoid ESD damage? (ground yourself by touching pc case metallic surface, do not touch any metallic contacts on ram)

RCFlire

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
Are you sure, you installed ram modules properly?
Did you hear click from ram slot after pressing module into the slot?
Which ram slots did you use?
Did you do any precautions to avoid ESD damage? (ground yourself by touching pc case metallic surface, do not touch any metallic contacts on ram)
Can you parse a link to the ram kit you purchased? Which BIOS version were you on prior to the system being unresponsive?

Given that this is a troubleshooting thread, please state your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is the PSU? You will need to breadboard the system with your older set of rams. Also, include a link to your old ram kit.

So after waiting about 10 minutes the PC turns on and functions as normal now so I assume the PSU was just bricking in from me turning on and off so much for a bit (breaker maybe??) - the new RAM still doesn't work which is unfortunate (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2A2400C14 ) as that's 3 from 4 sticks that I have ordered that I cannot seem to get to work.... I'm currently running the old 2x4gb sticks (https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/kingston-8gb-kit-4gb-x2-ddr4-2133mhz-non-ecc-ram-memory-dimm-1r ) in their channeled slots and then one of the 16GB sticks on its own to bring the system up to 20gb of eclecticly mixed ram - not ideal. I have been thinking maybe have to do with not updating the BIOS for a while but makes no sense why one of the sticks works more than fine in the board but the other 3 are dead as can be (turn on, no light on keyboard or mouse, no signal to monitor, lights on PSU and motherboard turn on and fans turn on, and then when turn the PSU off to turn it all off, weird beeping comes from motherboard) - any ideas???