Tried to install new graphics card, now games crash

Rangerrenold

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
I recently bought a new graphics card - a R9 380 Nitro 4GB, and installed it to my system. I did a clean wipe of my drivers using DDU, installed the new drivers, and began using my system. It had some problems with stuttering in games, so I un-installed the card, and put my old card back into the same port. Again, clean wipe with DDU and re-install of drivers. However, the stuttering is still present and now games (namely Dark Souls) crash, when neither of these things happened before. What could have happened?

Travanj

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Post your PC specs. Use CPUZ validate need to see everything.

Also as a sort-off remedy, even after using DDU, i suggest you also use a cleaning software to remove registries, cache, or anything that may be left behind by your old GPU before reinstalling the new one.

Rangerrenold

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Sorry that I forgot to post specs
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (not overclocked)
Motherboard : GIGABYTE Z77MX-D3H
GPU (old) : Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB
PSU : FirePower Fatal1ty 750W
Memory : 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1866

Rangerrenold

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

I'll be honest, I don't know what you're asking, but I think I *may* have solved the problem. Since I reflashed the BIOS, the settings weren't as I had them before and it had my 1866 RAM clocking at 1333MHz. I turned it back up to 1866, and it seemed to have at least solved the crashing problem for Dark Souls. In addition, I'm not getting the frame drops constantly like before. I'm to test it more tomorrow in other games.