[SOLVED] Tried to install new ram now black screen

SamButler148

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Hi all. So I’m not the best with PC’s but I know how to do the odd thing here and there. So I have an i7 6700k a gtx 1660ti oc and 8gb of ddr4 ram at 2300mhz. I wanted to ugrade my ram to 16gb so I purchased Hyper X’s 16gb kit at 3200mhz. I have an ASUS h110m - R motherboard and I Have a coller master cpu cooler and the black fan blocks the ram slots so I removed the black fan took it off and installed the new RAM. I turned on my ram and went to my BIOS and bang it was there 16gb of ram but it was running at 2300mhz so I thought this was strange but I went to YouTube and saw that this was normal and the frequency could be turned up. So I went to my bios and i changed the frequency to 3200 and once I did this I saved it and went to my task manager and it said I was still at 2300mhz so I went back to my bios and there was another box to with the frequency so I changed that to 3200 MHz and saved it then my screen was black and it kept saying ‘no signal found’. I started to panic and saw that you could reset the bios by using a jumper switch or something but I saw you could use paper clips and it didn’t work so it hen removed the battery on the motherboard and that didn’t work. Myjumperswitch header is behind my gpu so I did have to remove it each time to attempt it and I left my pc off whilst I did it but still no result. I really need help and it would be much appreciated if anyone takes the time to read this.

Solution
To reset bios (battery way)
  1. remove power cable.
  2. remove bios battery
  3. press power button for 5 sec
  4. wait like 5 min
Put batter back, put power cable back.

as for the header for reset (official guide):

1.Use the CLRTC header on motherboard to clear BIOS setting. Three methods are suggested below according to different motherboards:

a. Two pins are on CLRTC. Please touch two pin feet for around 5-10 seconds by conductor like screwdriver at the status of shutdown with power cable removed.

b. Three pins are on CLRTC. At the status of shutdown with power cable removed, please change CLRTC jumper from default value [1-2] to [2-3] for aorund 5-10 seconds. Then, switch jumper back to...
To reset bios (battery way)
  1. remove power cable.
  2. remove bios battery
  3. press power button for 5 sec
  4. wait like 5 min
Put batter back, put power cable back.

as for the header for reset (official guide):

1.Use the CLRTC header on motherboard to clear BIOS setting. Three methods are suggested below according to different motherboards:

a. Two pins are on CLRTC. Please touch two pin feet for around 5-10 seconds by conductor like screwdriver at the status of shutdown with power cable removed.

b. Three pins are on CLRTC. At the status of shutdown with power cable removed, please change CLRTC jumper from default value [1-2] to [2-3] for aorund 5-10 seconds. Then, switch jumper back to [1-2].

Re-connect the power and boot the device, press Delete to enter BIOS for setting

its very similar you might need to drain power first before reset.

3'rd one is with button that your board don't have.

Solution
First, Using the battery method is probably the best way to reset the BiOS. You removed the Fan from the Heatsink on the CPU cooler. Not a good idea. If you can reverse and mount the fan on the other side ( to have it pulling air through the heat sing instead of pushing it through ) then that will open up. The DIMM Slots. I am assuming you have a Kit that consists of 4 x 4gb Sticks. I did that with my fan on the cooler as I have 4 x 8 Gb sticks in here.

Jun 21, 2020
I’m having a similar issue so interested in this thread. I’ve just built a PC (Asus ROG Strix X570-F, Ryzen 3950X (will run with 16GB @3200Mhz but not 32gb at all), Radeon RX5500XT (8GB), 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2, 3TB Sata HD. PSU 850 Watts. Running Windows 10 Pro.
Sorry to semi hijack the thread, but hopefully there is maybe one fix for this.