[SOLVED] Tried to install new SSD, now computer turns on and off repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2020
I've had a working PC for many years now. Recently, I decided to look into adding a new M.2 SSD: the Samsung 970 Evo (1 TB). However, since my ASRock H97M Pro4 motherboard didn't have any designated slot for it, I decided to get a PCIe to M.2 adapter:the silverstone ECM21.

Additionally, according to the mobo's support page (seen here: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M Pro4/#BIOS) , it said that NVME support was added in BIOS version 1.40, and I had BIOS version 1.50. (Although I'm still a bit confused, since it states that NVME support was added in multiple versions; 1.40, 1.90, and 2.10). So I assumed that I would be able to boot off of the M.2 SSD.

Fast forward to today: I turn off my (working) computer, I unplug the SATA cables coming from my single HDD, and I screw in the silverstone ECM21. I plug in a USB stick with a windows install on it, and hit the power button. I then started spamming del/f2 to get into BIOS but the computer booted up only for a couple seconds. The case fans started running and their lights turned on, but the CPU fan didn't start. The computer then shut down. It then continued this process indefinitely. I was scared I had fried something so I shut the power off and then took out the SSD and its PCIe to M.2 adapter.

I then plugged back in my old hard drive and to my dismay the same thing is now happening (PC continually boots up and then turns off) so I'm stuck. Any ideas on what it could be? A damaged component? Or am I doing something wrong?

I also don't have any beepcode to decipher because my motherboard doesn't support it.

EDIT: I also reset CMOS and my PC still doesn't boot up even with my old hard drive that was working for years.

Full specs:
Processor: Intel i3-4370 CPU @ 3.80 GHz
Graphics Card: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 24"
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue)
Hard Drive: WD10EZEX-00BN5A0, DCM DARNKT2AEB, Western Digital 1TB SATA 3.5 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020
unplug the power after you turn off your working computer to install the card?
Tried that, doesn't seem to work. The bigger issue that I'm having right now is that I can't even get my computer to boot off of my original hard drive anymore, and I'm wondering how something like that would happen. A fried motherboard?

Jul 9, 2020
not now, when you did it hte first time, did you uplug the power?
ahhh, I did not :/ I was unaware that the PSU had to be unplugged, I thought that keeping oneself grounded at all times would suffice to prevent damage. Then you think it may be electrostatic damage?

One other piece of pertinent info is that when I cleared the CMOS, the fans started running (even the CPU fan) and the PC didn't turn off and on like it did before. Perhaps this is a sign that the motherboard is still good?
However, I got no video feed on my monitor when I spammed del to enter BIOS.

Then I pressed spacebar out of the blue and the system shut down then entered the restart loop again.

Status
Not open for further replies.