Question Tried to overclock ram and pc won’t boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 20, 2020
Specs:
Asrock 970m pro
Fx 8320
Gtx 1060 6gb
16gb ddr3 ram rated at 1600mhz

What happened:
So I my ram was only running at about 533mhz and I figured it would be safe to clock it to the advertised 1600mhz. I did so and the computer booted fine and I made it to my desktop. I opened task manager and it said I was running 8gb of ram at 800mhz. I knew this wasn’t right as I had 2 8gb sticks in. As I was shutting it down I noticed one of the sticks was not fully plugged in, hence the pc only showing 8gb instead of 16gb. As it was shutting down I pushed the stick all the way in. I began to smell a bit of burning so I let the pc rest before attempting to boot again. This is where I discovered the pc would not boot. I’ve done plenty of research, I tried resetting the CMOS with a jumper cap. I’ve tried removing the battering and touching the back of the battery to the prongs for about 5 seconds. I tried taking he batter out for 20 minutes. I tried switching out to different ram sticks in every imagineable configuration. And yes, the power cable was unplugged for all of these procedures. I’ve had absolutely no luck, just spinning fans. At this point I’m trying to figure out if we can pinpoint exactly which piece of hardware is fried. I don’t want to go replacing every single part on an outdated pc. Obviously this is upsetting but I’ve had this pc less than a month and it’s already died. This is my first pc and it was bought used on eBay for cheap. Yes I am a complete newcomer to gaming PCs. Any information will help.

zx128k

Reputable
Thanks for all the help everyone, my pc is functioning again. I upgraded to a slightly beefier motherboard (asrock 970m pro3 -> asrock 970 extreme4) and everything runs perfectly. I suspect my set up may be creating a bit of extra heat now so I’ll be using some better fans I have lying around. Ultimately I had a psu that seemed to be frying any mobo I installed so I got a new psu and the aforementioned mobo and everything runs fine. Costed more than I’d ever hoped to spend on this pc but it’s better than having no pc at all. As for the error codes, I had been using incompatible ram in the new MOBO and the hard drive wasn’t fully plugged in.

Good to hear everything now works.