Tried to sell my computer. Is someone trying to scam me?

XelonHun

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Hi there!
In the past I have attempted to sell my computer on ebay with no luck.
However, today I received a massege directly to my e-mail (after a month or so, lisiting isn't up anymore). I'm almost certain that this is a scam, but I would like to know your opinions on this matter. Here's are the e-mails:
(The title of the message is the exact same as the ebay listing)

S.F.(the interested party): Do you still have it for sale??

Me: Yes, the computer is still for sale :)

S.F: Thanks for your response.Am interested in buying.How long have you owned it?? what's your actual price for it?

Awaiting to hear from you soon,
Best Regards.

Me: (I've answered "her" questions,)

S.F:Thanks,am satisfied with the price and I have arranged for a pickup agent( Shipper ) who will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment is made and i'll like to pay u through paypal and do u have a paypal acct so i can make the payment of the funds?

Name:

PayPal Email :

Phone number:
so get back to me with the details i ask from you so that i can contact my PayPal for the Payment

Regards

Me: Would it be ok with you, if I re-listed this item on ebay, at the agreed price, and marked it for local pickup? This could make the transaction easier for the both of us.

S.F: Am from Kenya....How i wish to come and view it but am not around now...I will also like you to know that i will be paying via PayPal..With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that.First do you have a PayPal account for the payment?

Kenya, huh? I got really suspicious when I read that, and "she" is trying to dodge ebay, and go straight to PayPal. I'm 99% certain that this is a scam. Does anyone know how it works?
Also, any ideas as to how I could teach this scammer a lesson? :)

ARICH5

Distinguished
i had a conversation with a person here a while ago that sells computers to 3rd world countries for 4-5 times their asking price, and they sell like hotcakes!!! like old skylakes and haswell cpu computers for thousands of american dollars in iraq and UE.\
i wouldnt be surprised if this kenyan person does the same in their country. buying low and selling high. demand for high spec computers in poor countries is high.

i say get the money in your wallet and cash out!

XelonHun

Reputable
May 9, 2014

I think I'll do just that.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
General advice regardless of scammer or not - if you post on ebay, sell through ebay. Do not commit to sell anything outside of the ebay service when contacted through the ebay service. you lose all protections ebay provides and it gets messy.

Try craigslist too btw. i generally have good luck.

last - if you havent been able to sell it for a month, your price might be too high. drop the price, take the hit and get your money

USAFRet

Titan
"S.F:Thanks,am satisfied with the price and I have arranged for a pickup agent( Shipper ) who will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment is made and i'll like to pay u through paypal and do u have a paypal acct so i can make the payment of the funds?"

Traditional scam.
Either go completely through the ebay interface, or don't do it at all.

And don't attempt to scam them back.
Just cease all comms with them.

TRENDING THREADS