[SOLVED] Tried to update my bios, but now the rig won't boot. Did I fry my motherboard, or could there be a simpler explanation?

Oklahoma Hoss

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
My pc just randomly restarted yesterday for no apparent reason, and after it did, everything worked fine as far as I could tell, but I was concerned about it. So I pulled the the Gigabyte app I had gotten from my their website and attempted to see if the bios needed to be updated. The app offered that option and I decided to try it. Everything seemed to go as planned, it connected to the server and everything, but then it shut down as though to restart to finish the update, but now, when you press the power button on the case, the machine starts up, and you can hear the fans cycle as they normally do when I start it, but it never boots. The monitor shows "No signal" and the fans just cycle fast, then slow, over and over. I've tried holding Shift-F8, then turning it on, and also I have tried holding the Windows key and the B key at the same time as well. Neither of these methods have any effect. At this point I'm thinking something happened on that update attempt that just fried my mobo. Is there anything I can do that will let me boot it? Or do I just need to get a new motherboard at this point?

Solution
Ok, I understand now. Have you tried doing a hard reset? Exactly as outlined here:

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it...

Oklahoma Hoss

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
What is the model of your motherboard?

I assume this is the same system you were asking about a replacement board for in your other thread? Could probably have simply added this information there and kept it to one thread.
First, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970-DS3P. I actually had the M5A99X EVO R2.0 that you recommended as well, and I loved it.

Oklahoma Hoss

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
So, if you tried updating the BIOS and then turned it off or restarted it before it finished it's routine, then yeah, it's likely bricked.

I think you misunderstand. I didn't turn it off. I didn't touch the computer at all after I initiated the update. The machine turned itself off, like it was going to restart after the download, like it'll do when you install an update.

Ok, I understand now. Have you tried doing a hard reset? Exactly as outlined here:

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Solution