[SOLVED] Tried to upgrade sons computer for birthday... : (

Jul 17, 2021
I tried to upgrade my sons computer CPU to a Ryzen i5 5600x and got a motherboard locally MSI x470 gaming plus. Then realized he also needed DDR4 RAM so I went to bestbuy and got 3.2 ghz PNY XLR8 16 GB.

I know that the the motherboard needed a BIOS update so I put that on a thumb drive, watched youtube and felt like it was not going to be a problem... Then...Nothing... I cant get his computer to boot. Cooling fans spin, fan on CPU spins, light on GPU lights up.

I have a red light above the RAM and the CPU. The RAM, I believe is seated properly and in the correct positions. Slot 2 and 4. Also my USB ports wont work. Monitor is plugged into GPU.

I have tried inserting the RAM in different slots, I have unplugged and plugged back all cables.

I have read it may be lack of power??? I have an EVO Gold 750? Id imagine thats enough?

Any help would be appreciated. I spent most of the day watching youtube and trying to fix it for him with out luck.

Reactions: himankhare
Solution
The (required) BIOS revision for the 5600X is higher than it comes with stock. It appears in a quick look that you will require an earlier gen CPU in order to update that. I didn't see a BIOS flash function that would allow it to be done without CPU/RAM installed.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

Looks like the least expensive option outside of taking to a shop would be to purchase an Athlon using the (lowest) BIOS revision to flash and then add back in your 5xxx. AMD used to do "boot kit" but no one I have heard to doing so said it was a smooth or quick process and will have the system down till later.

I would likely return the mobo if you can and select one that is ready out of the box.
D

Deleted member 1560910

Why did you get a 470 board ? If im not mistaken they dont work with 5 series Ryzen out of the box

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The (required) BIOS revision for the 5600X is higher than it comes with stock. It appears in a quick look that you will require an earlier gen CPU in order to update that. I didn't see a BIOS flash function that would allow it to be done without CPU/RAM installed.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

Looks like the least expensive option outside of taking to a shop would be to purchase an Athlon using the (lowest) BIOS revision to flash and then add back in your 5xxx. AMD used to do "boot kit" but no one I have heard to doing so said it was a smooth or quick process and will have the system down till later.

I would likely return the mobo if you can and select one that is ready out of the box.

Reactions: eckertboys3
Solution
Jul 17, 2021
How exactly were you trying to update the BIOS? Unless I'm mistaken, this BIOS does not support updating the BIOS without a working CPU. So how did you update the BIOS?

So the computer wont load to the motherboard screen with the current CPU installed? I was under the impression I could just update the BIOS once everything was plugged in.

Buy your saying the issue is I need a compatible CPU the update the BIOS?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So the computer wont load to the motherboard screen with the current CPU installed? I was under the impression I could just update the BIOS once everything was plugged in.

Buy your saying the issue is I need a compatible CPU the update the BIOS?

Without the specific feature -- which is usually on more expensive boards -- you can't update the BIOS with an incompatible CPU.

Reactions: eckertboys3