Question Tried upgrading my cpu now won't post

gevans166

Reputable
Mar 31, 2019
I am trying to upgrade my cpu from a AMD 5 2600 to a AMD 5 5600. But I am running into some problems. Currently the system won't even post and the bios light is lit on the motherboard. I made sure to update to the current bios and to reset the cmos by removing it for a while. When I first turned the pc on after installing the new cpu I was able to get to the bios menu page. All I did though was confirm the bios was correct and set date and time. After that I haven't been able to get it to do anything. Everything seems to be working so I don't know what do.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Lrf9zf

gevans166

Reputable
Mar 31, 2019
I checked the old cpu and yes it will boot just fine. After swapping back to the new cpu it still does not boot. I do believe I am properly applying the thermal paste. I use about a pea size glob in the middle of the cpu with the stock Ryzen cooler.

I checked the old cpu and yes it will boot just fine. After swapping back to the new cpu it still does not boot. I do believe I am properly applying the thermal paste. I use about a pea size glob in the middle of the cpu with the stock Ryzen cooler.
No, the thermal paste application wouldn't be the problem. There are so many ways to apply thermal paste and they all work just fine. Even if you did it wrong, it would still post, it's just that it would shut down when the CPU got too hot. The motherboard doesn't detect if thermal paste has even been applied correctly. In fact, the motherboard doesn't even detect if thermal paste has been applied at all so that can't be it.

The problem has to be that the BIOS isn't updated enough. What is your motherboard make and model and what BIOS version do you currently have installed?

Reactions: kurdtnz