[SOLVED] Trim on a Hard Drive - a "spinner"

In my event log I keep seeing the following error

"The storage optimizer couldn't complete retrim on Data (D:) because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume."

I know there's a scheduled task that defrags HDD's and 'optimizes' SSD's (runs the TRIM command), my D: is an HDD (spinner). Why does it try to run a 'trim' command on an HDD if it knows it's an HDD? is this normal?

Solution
It appears it runs TRIM on SMR drives

TRIM/UNMAP is supported for external hard drives with SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drive inside, like SSDs, for dataset management and to improve SMR performance over time. One of the shingled write benefits is that all physical sectors are written sequentially in a direction radially and are only rewritten after a wrap-around. Rewriting a previously written LBA (Logical Block Addressing) will cause the previous write to be marked invalid and the LBA will be written to the next sequential physical sector. The TRIM/UNMAP enables the OS to inform the drive which blocks are no longer considered to be in use and can be reclaimed internally by the HDD to ensure that later write operations...
As a spinning disk can write to filled bits just as quickly as to empty ones, its controller is not going to be programmed to understand commands to mark blocks for later block erasure.

Was the HDD imaged from a SSD? I've found that if a HDD is imaged to a SSD sometimes the Windows tool fails to recognize it as SSD and continues to just defrag it. This sounds like the opposite

Colif

Win 11 Master
It appears it runs TRIM on SMR drives

TRIM/UNMAP is supported for external hard drives with SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drive inside, like SSDs, for dataset management and to improve SMR performance over time. One of the shingled write benefits is that all physical sectors are written sequentially in a direction radially and are only rewritten after a wrap-around. Rewriting a previously written LBA (Logical Block Addressing) will cause the previous write to be marked invalid and the LBA will be written to the next sequential physical sector. The TRIM/UNMAP enables the OS to inform the drive which blocks are no longer considered to be in use and can be reclaimed internally by the HDD to ensure that later write operations perform at full speed.

And since your drive isn't one, I assume, its not run.

Oddly, I don't have that warning - I looked, and I also don't have an SMR drive.

Last edited:
Solution
In my event log I keep seeing the following error

"The storage optimizer couldn't complete retrim on Data (D:) because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume."

I know there's a scheduled task that defrags HDD's and 'optimizes' SSD's (runs the TRIM command), my D: is an HDD (spinner). Why does it try to run a 'trim' command on an HDD if it knows it's an HDD? is this normal?
In the task bar search box type......optimize.
Click on the app.
What does it show for device type for your hdd?

D

Deleted member 14196

I see it too. I think somebody got lazy and they just throw it at every drive that’s in the system

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is the event id number?

@Mandark, what type of hdd do you have? Seagate? I saw it on web a few times for Seagate drives.

I checked in my event viewer and only ones I get are dcom errors that almost everyone gets. I know better than to look in there as often it shows events that only happen once and may work every other time. Microsoft reduced many of the critical errors down to just warnings as people were using the page to scam others, and it caused normal users to think their PC was broken. If PC works fine, there is no need to look at it or Reliability history screens - I try not to :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Interesting pdf - on TRIM command benefits for hdd, its a Western Digital pdf - https://documents.westerndigital.co...paper-generic-benefit-for-hard-disk-drive.pdf (will auto download)

I found one result where the Seagate drive shows it uses TRIM in Features of Crystaldiskinfo. - https://superuser.com/questions/1407990/what-does-trim-on-an-hdd-mean#:~:text=The TRIM/UNMAP enables the,operations perform at full speed.
As you can see, mine doesn't

c3rb55h.jpg

Last edited: