Triple Channel memory in DUAL Channel

samvel

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
When purchasing my memory sticks it was cheaper to get a patriot triple channel kit over any dual memory chips. i have an Asus P8P67 MOBO and Patriot viper II sector 7 DDR3 1600M MHz 3x4gb... i was wonder what to do with my third stick... should i just put it on the mobo or should i sell it would it effect my performance in anyway???

thanks for any help in advance

Solution
As using all three is not recommended, I'd keep the 3rd one for replacement if one of your sticks ever stops working, or in the future - if you find a good deal - buy the 4th one. You won't sell it for much anyway :)

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Scary how pricing goes crazy, isn't it? I guess they dropped the price because they don't sell a whole lot of triple channel RAM.

There is no difference between the DIMMs in a triple kit vs a double. You can use two DIMMs from the kit with no problem at all.

Some (most?) motherboards will let you use the third DIMM, but it will usually slow things down (by forcing the motherboard into single channel operation when using the lone DIMM).

I'd sell it, or keep it as a spare.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
As using all three is not recommended, I'd keep the 3rd one for replacement if one of your sticks ever stops working, or in the future - if you find a good deal - buy the 4th one. You won't sell it for much anyway :)

Solution

samvel

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
i paid 55$ for the kit so i think ill just keep the extra stick and see if i suffice with 8gb ram if not ill probably buy a single

would getting a different brand but same specs not be recommended if i chose to pick up a 4th stick?