Triple Channel or more memory?

blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hello all, i don't know much about memory. I have in my self built system, 6GB of DDR3 in Triple channel configuration. I'm interested in increasing to 8 or 10 GB but know I will lose triple channel and will be dual channel. I'm not sure if triple channel is better or having the extra memory is better. Any advice? Thanks everyone!

It depends on the use! 6GB in triple channel is faster in gaming and normal use than 8GB in Dual channel (10GB would be single with 5 sticks). Only if using the computer for heavy rendering, 3d modeling or anything where big file conversion take up a lot of memory would it benefit from the additional ram.
Optimal upgrade would be add another 6 GB and end with 12 GB in triple channel.

blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks rolli, you make perfect sense. I'd love to move to 12GB....unfortunately my motherboard can only do 3 slots in triple channel mode (probably the norm), so i'd have to do away with the 6GB kit i got(3X2048MB) and go with a 12GB (3X4096MB), if this was an older build i'd do it, but i just built it in august and it'd be money down the drain for the 6 gig kit. Thanks though, i have piece of mind that i'm good to stick with what i already have.