Triple Channel RAM Usage

eman8950

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I have a Dell Precision T5500 and am looking to upgrade my RAM. The MB has triple channel DIMMs and mine are currently holding 6 1GB sticks. I Use SolidWorks which recommends a minimum of 8GB RAM. My setup has been getting very laggy as I've started doing larger and larger assembly jobs.

Anyways, I understand the main differences between RAM capacities, speeds, pin-counts, CAS-Latency, etc., etc. What I'm not super familiar with is proper channel utilization. Could I see better or similar performance using 3 sticks of 4GB Triple Channel RAM (12GB Total) as I would get using 2 sticks of 8GB Dual Channel RAM (16GB Total).

Also, Dell's recommended RAM is RDIMM (Registered). What differences would I see if, or should I not even consider using Unregistered?

Solution
You would see better performance getting a matched triple channel set of 3x4GB than you would with 2x8GB. You would be leaving 1/3 of the memory performance of the CPU on the table with the dual channel implementation.

eman8950

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

Hey thanks for the replies guys. That is what I was thinking would be the case but I have no real experience in this kind of stuff! I will be going with 3x4GB registered. Thanks again.