Triple checking compatibility

Jun 21, 2018
Building my first PC from scratch, I just want to be completely sure that everything will go as planned so I'd like opinions on the setup, since I'm going to Microcenter to spend a few hundred on the rest of it.

Gigabyte AX370 Gaming

GeForce 750Ti

Ryzen 5 1600 3.2Ghz

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL16 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Module

1 500GB HDD from my last PC, will do a complete reinstall of Windows 10

1 CD/DVD optical drive

I haven't decided on a PSU, I know I need a new one for the ATX 12v connector as my old PSU was only a 4pin. I'll likely just ask at the store and see what they recommend for 50 -60 bucks.

I realize it's not the greatest but I want something better than my Phenom that I can actually afford, I definitely plan on upgrading parts piecemeal later on as I can.

Also if there's anything I should be aware of before I plug it all in and hit the power button for my first complete build, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a ton.

Solution

Unfortunately, unlike intel, ryzen is closely tied into ram characteristics.
If the motherboard qvl list is a problem, go to a ram web site like g.skil, corsair, Kingston...
Access their ram selection app and enter the make/model of your motherboard.
You will get a list of supported kits.
I would not buy faster than 2677 speed for your motherboard.
Depending on your budget, I could potentially set you up with a better deal. Are you just going to be gaming, or? I'm also curious as far as how much you're getting that 750 Ti for. Depending on your use case, I could move a few things around and make room for an SSD, which will give you a HUGE performance boost as far as loading times are concerned. But yes, all those parts SHOULD be compatible.

Those parts will work, but it really is not the best combination. I would look at going with the 2600 if you want to go with AMD. The 1600 is over a year old and it does lag behind Intel's 8400 a good bit in gaming for the same price point. The 2600's higher clock speed really closed the gap between the 2600 and the 8400.

If you do go with AMD, I suggest getting faster RAM than 2400mhz. I would look at 3000-3200mhz as Ryzen scales well with faster RAM. Also, if you go with the 1600, get a b350 board. It should be cheaper than the AX370 you selected and will have the same features that you are looking for.

Get a quality PSU from EVGA, Seasonic, or Corsair. There are a lot of cheap PSUs out there and a malfunction can damage your components.

Lastly, get an SSD to load the OS. It may not translate to better fps in gaming, but it will make the entire PC experience much better. Having Windows on a SSD will drastically speed up boot and load times. Even if you get a small 120gb SSD just for the OS and a couple of programs will make the system much more responsive. Microcenter has a 120gb SSD for like $30. I recommend getting it before you install windows to make your life a little easier.

Ryzen is picky about ram.
Buy only an explicitly supported kit.
I do not see your ram on the ram QVL list for your motherboard:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-ax370-Gaming5.pdf

Past that, if you want 8gb, buy a 2 x 4gb kit so you can run in faster dual channel mode.
Do not think you can add a second 8gb stick later, it will not be supported and may not run.
Ram must be matched.

On the psu, be careful with microcenter, they tend to push less than good quality units.
Look for something from tier 1/2/3 from a list such as this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Your graphics card requires only 300w, but look for something in the 450w-550w range to allow for a future graphics card upgrade.
A psu will only consume the wattage demanded of it, regardless of the max rating.

Jun 21, 2018

Cool, I actually already have the 750 Ti, I'm going to Microcenter for the CPU, RAM, and PSU, just to get my computer up and going. As I said, I do plan on upgrading the parts when I'm able to but I have loans and rent and adult stuff that comes first (don't we all). I have an ATX case it seems to be very roomy.

Now a question about the SSD, I do plan on getting one but am I able to actually run games on it or is it for storage only? I don't know why but I thought I read somewhere that I couldn't actually run games or something from an SSD. Is there anything I should be aware of before I start my system up, or should I expect it to just boot into BIOS so I can install the OS and get going? The motherboard came with a Gigabyte driver disc but I'm under the assumption I am using that after I install the OS and such.

Also with the video card, can I start off with plugging my HDMI into that right away or I do I need to connect to the motherboard and install the NVIDIA drivers first?

Don't even bother with the driver disc, they'll most likely be outdated regardless of how recent the purchase was. I always advise buying a larger capacity SSD and later adding in an HDD. You should be fine running games off of an SSD, as a matter of fact, it will be light years faster than a mechanical solution. Ideally, if your 750 Ti worked in a previous system, you shouldn't have a problem immediately getting an HDMI output from it. The issue with Ryzen is that it doesn't have integrated graphics, so you're kinda stuck with relying on the 750 Ti for an output regardless, so fingers crossed.

As for a PSU, I agree with Geofelt; look online for a quality EVGA/SeaSonic unit. Just be sure to install windows to your SSD, as the boot times will improve drastically.

Jun 21, 2018
Okay thanks for all the help. As for the ram, what is the cheapest one you could recommend? As I said I am on a tight budget and just want to get my system going, which is why I chose the one I did for 80 bucks. I can always sell it and upgrade later if I choose to, for now I just want to be able to turn on my PC and say I finally did it!

Jun 21, 2018
Geez just trying to match up part numbers for RAM is making me nautious. Is there an easier way to match up what is in stock to what I need to buy? That list is huge, I was operating under the idea that I could just get DDR4 memory and it would work.

On ram, buy a supported 2 x 4gb kit, it will operate in faster dual channel mode.
The small price premium for a matched kit is worth it.
ryzen responds to faster ram.

Unlike Intel, ryzen does not come with integrated graphics so you will need to use your GTX750ti.
It has a basic mode that works without a graphics driver so you can work with the bios and install windows.

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.
But, many things default to the "C" drive.
When a SSD nears full, it will lose performance and endurance.
240gb is the recommended minimum.
I like Samsung evo for the ssd.

If you have the initial funds, buy a 240 or 500gb ssd and plan on putting everything on it.
240gb will hold a handful of games.
Use your old hard drive for bulk storage.

If you do not have the funds now, go ahead and build using your hard drive.
Later when you want a ssd, buy a Samsung evo large enough to hold the used contents of the hard drive.
The Samsung ssd migration aid will move your C drive and contents to the ssd painlessly.

Jun 21, 2018
Understood, yeah I don't have funds for more than that RAM CPU and PSU but I definitely plan on upgrading to a SSD sooner rather than later. About the RAM, will the one I have picked out not work at all or will it just not work to the best of it's abilitly? I understand it's not the best, but as I've stated I just want a computer that powers up and works. I'm understand conflicting reports of any DDR4 RAM working but then he had mentioned my ram not being on the QVL for my motherboard. I always thought that for the most part any compatible RAM would work.

Unfortunately, unlike intel, ryzen is closely tied into ram characteristics.
If the motherboard qvl list is a problem, go to a ram web site like g.skil, corsair, Kingston...
Access their ram selection app and enter the make/model of your motherboard.
You will get a list of supported kits.
I would not buy faster than 2677 speed for your motherboard.

Solution
Jun 21, 2018
Alright just so I don't spend a hundred on a part that doesn't work, can someone double check this one for me?

HyperX HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL15 Single Channel Desktop Memory Module

And to be sure, I am matching up the following number with the list

HX424C15FB2/8

Right?

Jun 21, 2018
Just used the search function to double check, it's on the list. God what a huge headache, next time I'm buying a CPU RAM combo. Thanks a ton to all of you, you saved me multiple trips and returns and all that I very much appreciate it!!!

Last thing though before I go out for the day, all of those on the list will for sure work with the Ryzen 5 correct?

Jun 21, 2018
Yes if they have that I will get that instead, but thanks a ton for your help. I literally couldn't have done it without you or spending money on parts that didn't work.

Jun 21, 2018
Now one last thing, if I do opt for the single 8GB stick I know I can't just plug in another 8 gb stick later on, but can I upgrade to 4x 4GB sticks later on or is RAM a one time install thing?

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Matching 4 sticks is even more difficult than just two.

Jun 21, 2018

I understand the point of kits, I'm wondering if I can use a 4x kit to fill all the slots in my board later on, or even a different 2x kit, after I've used a single 8GB stick for a while.

I suppose you could; but to what advantage?
Ryzen is double channel so 4 sticks is of no advantage from a performance point of view.
Matching 4 sticks is more costly, so 16gb in a 4 x 4 configuration is likely to cost you more.
The 4 stick capability is for those who need 64gb of ram.

Jun 21, 2018
Really I was just making sure I wasn't stick with the one stick of 8gb and I could upgrade to something, even 2 sticks of 4gb but from what I read its not all that noticeable, and considering I went from 2 2gb sticks of hp ram and a Phenom, this new PC I just built is AMAZING.

so again, thanks for all the help!