Triple-GPU Scaling: AMD CrossFire Vs. Nvidia SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Impressive and unexpected results. Speculations that crossfire scaling is worse than SLI can finally be put into rest.[/citation]
Not true, I would have liked to see more games on the test. The choices were too limited for my taste. For example, everyone knows that Crysis is heavily Nvidia favored, so it's not surprising to see those results in the least.

Here's another article on the 68xx series in Xfire
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd6870-hd6850-crossfirex.html#sect0

Xfire scaling was found to be 100% on 10 or the 19 games they tested, and remaining very high on the others. Nvidia and ATi seems to trade blows at different games tested, but it is evident that Ati has stepped up their Xfire drivers int he 6xxx series.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Impressive and unexpected results. Speculations that crossfire scaling is worse than SLI can finally be put into rest.[/citation]
I misunderstood what you meant. But yes, xfire/sli scaling has improved alot this generation :)

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Its really cool to see amd stepping up their game. Multigpu scaling used to be only good on nvidia, but now amd is beating them. Though i feel that more games should be tested before a firm conclusion should be drawn.

anubis44

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
No! Don't buy a 5000-series card to crossfire. The 6000 series cards are essentially all better at crossfire scaling than their predecessors. This performance advantage will likely only increase with additional driver revisions and better 6000-series optimization support than for older products.

classicaxe

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I wish you Tom's would have done a 6970 trifire comparison instead. It's on average cheaper than the 570 on the Egg right now. I guess i get the memo, with showing that a cheaper solution is outperforming a more expensive option, but there would have been a good deal of performance increase across the board with the clock speed differences and opened shaders that is the 6970. Those differences come more alive in scaling especially with 3 cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Luay[/nom]Loved the idea of the article. Very disappointed with the display setup. It should go up to 5760x1200.[/citation]Asus' 25" 1920x1200 display is still well priced, but I don't expect to see them around much longer. You should tell Chris to order three of these for every editor, before that bargain price vanishes!

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Things get ugly for Nvidia at 2560x1600. While a 67% performance gain for two-way and 112% gain for three-way SLI certainly aren't shabby, AMD’s 92% two-way and 245% 3-way gains put it in the winner’s circle.
Well the graph for nVidia shows 212.11%, so a 112% gain is correct, but the graph for AMD shows 244.87%, so 245% gain is incorrect, that should be 145% gain. Still better then nVidia, but not that much better...

executor2

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
"The closest competitor is Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 570" Wrong !

The closest competitor is the Nvidia`s GTX 560Ti price vs price. At least in my country.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]executor2[/nom]"The closest competitor is Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 570" Wrong ! The closest competitor is the Nvidia`s GTX 560Ti price vs price. At least in my country.[/citation]Could you please show me the GTX 560 Ti model that supports 3-way SLI? I'd love to test those too!

executor2

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
@Crashman

I`m sorry my mistake , I haven't looked up to the 560 if they are capable of 3-way crossfire, ALSO isn't the author`s job to make a balance article ?

Pitting two cards against each other should also have the same price ? This seems hidden commercial for Nvidia , just my 2 cent.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]executor2[/nom]@CrashmanI`m sorry my mistake , I haven't looked up to the 560 if they are capable of 3-way crossfire, ALSO isn't the author`s job to make a balance article ? Pitting two cards against each other should also have the same price ? This seems hidden commercial for Nvidia , just my 2 cent.[/citation]Did you read the last three pages, where the cheaper cards win? I think most people would regard that as an ad for AMD! Or are we not reading the same article?

Now if AMD really wanted to bribe someone, some 6970's might have resulted in fewer complaints...but that's water under the bridge now.

Status
Not open for further replies.