Triple Monitor Help

Tciceedude

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hello everyone! I have just gotten my first 1080p monitor and it only has DVI-D and VGA. I would like to hook up my two old 1440x900 monitors with this (yes, i know resolutions will be weird) but one of the old one has ONLY VGA and the other one has DVI-D and VGA... the problem is, im going to hook the 1080p to DVI-D, but I am purchasing adapters for the old screens, already have a VGA to DVI-I and i am going to get one for DVI-D to HDMI but I dont know whats male vs female adapters... will they work no matter what? or is the male/female specific to a 'one way signal'

for example, could i use this to plug HDMI into GPU and DVI into screen? http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-28AWG-Speed-Adapter-Ferrite/dp/B002KCTFLG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420184066&sr=1-3&keywords=DVI+to+HDMI

GPU:::: ASUS GTX 770 2GB OC edition

Solution
Yes, you can use that HDMI->DVI cable for the monitor. The connector genders don't mean anything for the signal path, it just concerns the physical connectors themselves and how your equipment wiring will be set up. For example, lets say you needed 12ft of HDMI cable but you only had two 6 footers laying around, instead of going out and buying a 12ft cable, you could just buy a cheap female-female connector that would allow you to link the two cables together (since they have male connectors on each end).

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Yes, you can use that HDMI->DVI cable for the monitor. The connector genders don't mean anything for the signal path, it just concerns the physical connectors themselves and how your equipment wiring will be set up. For example, lets say you needed 12ft of HDMI cable but you only had two 6 footers laying around, instead of going out and buying a 12ft cable, you could just buy a cheap female-female connector that would allow you to link the two cables together (since they have male connectors on each end).

Solution

No. When using AMD cards (except for the latest generation, IIRC), you have to use the DP for at least one screen, but it does not have to be the primary.

As this is not an AMD card, it doesn't matter.