[SOLVED] Triple Monitor Issue

rborowik

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have been running triple screens for a few years without issue, today I have been experiencing an issue that I can't find the source of it. Could anyone help?

I have a RX 580 graphics card with three monitors running from it, two on HDMI and one on DVI. Any combination of two monitors will work fine but not three, they just flicker to a black screen, make the connected / disconnected sounds and repeat before I can look at display settings.

I have reinstalled the graphics card drivers, tried every combination of monitor and cable and couldnt find an issue with any of them.

Any ideas?

Full PC Spec

AMD Ryzen 1700X
Asus Prime X370 Pro Motherboard
64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Asus RX 580 8GB Graphics Card
Corsair H110i CPU Cooler
250GB Samsung 960 NVME SSD
6 HDDs
Corsair HX750i

All components are just under three years old.

Last edited:
Solution
Spec's noted.

Quite a power load.

Could indeed be power (or lack of power) related. 750 watts could be borderline for that build - even with a new PSU.

As for things coming loose:

Overall when the computer heats up and cools down expansion and contraction occur. Connections move back and forth not much but for the most part, overtime, simply creep loose. Cards, RAM, plugs....

The computer does not necessarily need to be moved for that to happen. However, not uncommon for a loose connection to completely disconnect if the computer does happen to get physically moved. Or even just bumped.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Likely needs a good cleaning to blow out dust and debris. Then reseat all cards, cables, RAM...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Have you opened the case to check that all internal cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place?

Overall, if the PSU is likewise a "few years" old then it may be nearing its designed EOL (End of Life).

The PSU may no longer be able to keep up the GPU's/System's power demands to support 3 monitors.

rborowik

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Have you opened the case to check that all internal cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place?

Overall, if the PSU is likewise a "few years" old then it may be nearing its designed EOL (End of Life).

The PSU may no longer be able to keep up the GPU's/System's power demands to support 3 monitors.

I have updated the original post with the spec, the PC hasnt been opened or moved etc so it would be strange for something internally to have become disconnected.

Ralston18

Titan
Spec's noted.

Quite a power load.

Could indeed be power (or lack of power) related. 750 watts could be borderline for that build - even with a new PSU.

Overall when the computer heats up and cools down expansion and contraction occur. Connections move back and forth not much but for the most part, overtime, simply creep loose. Cards, RAM, plugs....

The computer does not necessarily need to be moved for that to happen. However, not uncommon for a loose connection to completely disconnect if the computer does happen to get physically moved. Or even just bumped.

Likely needs a good cleaning to blow out dust and debris. Then reseat all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers etc.

If necessary get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Solution

rborowik

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Spec's noted.

Quite a power load.

Likely needs a good cleaning to blow out dust and debris. Then reseat all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers etc.

If necessary get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Ill power it down and take a look through it now. I put the spec into a power calculator and it comes out at 572W so should be fine on the PSU unless something is faulty. Just benchmarked a game to see if I could force a GPU error or something that would help but it ran at 100% utilization for 2 minutes without issues.

rborowik

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Its fixed, thanks for you help.

I checked over the PC internally, nothing was loose. When it had booted back up it was doing the same thing but I left it for 4-5 minutes and I kept trying to get into display settings before it reset them. Managed to correct it but I'm still not sure how it happened..

TRENDING THREADS