Triple or dual channel?

robjamar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hi im looking for some ram to buy for a EVGA x58 LE mobo, but i dont know what kind of ram it needs, i think its triple channel.
Another thing is: how do i know if the ram im looking for is triple or duall channel?
Thanks for any help

The motherboard chipset determines the ram capacity and setup. Tripple channel only means you try to use 3 ram sticks in the proper slots for maximum speed, but I doubt the average person could tell the difference over dual channel. Just get the best deal on 3 sticks you can find, with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. There is one Intel x58 board that gives you a choice of dual or tripple channel, but it's not the norm for this chipset.

robjamar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
so i can use dual channel on a triple channel mobo? i think i read on Crucial.com
that it didnt support dual channel memory

You can try it, but I recommend you spend the extra money and use the same 3 sticks for the 3 color coded slots on most x58 boards. Dual channel ram is normally sold in pairs for the 1156 boards which use dual channel for their chipset.

ammhardware

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
If you are logged in on your profile and come into this thread, there should be a "Select as best answer" button below everyone's response.

ammhardware

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
As far as I'm able to tell, there is no such thing as quad channel memory. Someone please correct me here if this is wrong. Where you may here quad memory mentioned is when memory is sold in bunches of four - that is simply two sets of two, to be used with dual channel boards.