nycon2005

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I am installing some projectors at a church and can't seem to get the front projectors to find a signal. The setup is a laptop with a usb-to-vga adapter running one projection on the back wall (works fine) and another feed coming out of the laptop's factory hdmi port, running 80ft heavy-duty hdmi cable, to an hdmi amplifier, 6ft cable to an hdmi splitter, to 2 20ft hdmi cables down to two optoma projectors. The computer (running windows 7) recognizes that it is connected to an optoma projector, but it won't pass the signal to the projectors. Any ideas?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Since he is using a splitter (really just copy of a single display), this is "do-able". Cable lengths and signal strength are definitely a concern, though.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

yeah but the gpu is displaying to the screen and to the hdmi cord. it wouldnt be able to support any more

COLGeek

Cybernaut

It doesn't work like you are thinking. The 2 front displays are really just one display (because of the splitter). You don't count the USB adapter display as it has its own interface.

The system can certainly "clone" the internal display to an external display if all is connected properly. That is where the cable length issue comes into play here.

nycon2005

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Everything in the computer settings seems to be fine...in the display settings it shows three displays, and when i click identify it shows the 1 on the laptop display and the 3 on the back wall - and as i said before, the computer recognizes that display 2 is an optoma projector, so obviously it is at least getting a weak signal back from the projector. The long cable run was definitely a concern of mine, but the amplifier's specs says that it will extend the signal up to 150'. In the past I've run single projectors with even longer cables runs, but those were vga and also weren't split. Do we think that splitting the signal to the two projectors could be the issue, or is it most likely that 80 ft cable run? And if it is the cable, does anyone have any solutions to fix that... unfortunately the projectors are suspended from the ceiling in the front of the sanctuary and the computer has to be in the booth at the back, so there is no possibility of shortening that distance. Btw, thanks for all the help everyone.

Amp - Tripp Lite B122-000
Splitter - http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-Amplifier-Dual-Display/dp/B0015YRMXI
Cables - Startech 80ft and (2) Startech 25ft