[SOLVED] Tripple ping and other issues in the evening

Jul 26, 2019
For some months now, I have been experience ping spikes and higher overall ping at night. I have contacted my isp about the issue and every time the tech comes out he says "your signals look good blah blah" and they cant fix the issue. When I do a speed test through google or ookla, my speed is like 20mbps when I should be getting 100mbps. Again, this only occurs at night. My isp sent me a link to speed test through their local server and it shows 90ish mbps download and 8ms ping, but the 3rd party speed tests show around 20mbps. The bandwidth isn't really the issue for me, it is the AWFUL ping. I play a lot of online games and my ping values during the day are around 39ms, and during the evening they can be anywhere from 150-200ms with random spikes up to 500ms or higher. I feel like there is an issue with too many people on my internet circuit or whatever, but the test to the local server is fine so the issue must be with how my isp routes my data. I've tried vpn's and they dont help at all. I'm just at a loss. I can't play any games at night, which is the only time I get to play, because of this. The worst part is there is LITERALLY no alternative ISP in my area except for satellite.

Solution
You ISP has likely oversold the network and does not want to admit it.

It depends where the bottleneck is. You can run tracert and then run ping to the various hops in the trace. Hop2 represents the connection to your house. You used to see issues like this commonly on cable systems but the bandwidth is so high on cable that it hard for all the people living near you to actually use it all. It is still a very common issue on mobile broadband if you are on a heavy used tower and there are not other towers you can connect to.

They might fix this if enough people near you complain. They just have to split the network up a bit but it costs them money to do it. Guess it depends how many people will drop to the lowest cost plan...
You ISP has likely oversold the network and does not want to admit it.

It depends where the bottleneck is. You can run tracert and then run ping to the various hops in the trace. Hop2 represents the connection to your house. You used to see issues like this commonly on cable systems but the bandwidth is so high on cable that it hard for all the people living near you to actually use it all. It is still a very common issue on mobile broadband if you are on a heavy used tower and there are not other towers you can connect to.

They might fix this if enough people near you complain. They just have to split the network up a bit but it costs them money to do it. Guess it depends how many people will drop to the lowest cost plan since a more expensive one is not any faster.

If the problem is farther into the trace it could be the bandwidth between your ISP and other larger ISP. Smaller ISP have issues buying enough connectivity to the internet.

Solution
Your own router shouldn't have those ping times unless you're on wireless.

I actually ran into this same thing for over a year and a half at one of my previous apartment complexes. It was almost like clockwork--6pm+ >10% packet loss. >:|

So I ran all sorts of test and figured out it wasn't the local hop, but was in the isps domain. I gathered data using the thinkbroadband monitor and the freeola linetest which both showed the issue and the timing. I finally turned it into someone at my isp that would listen and 6 months later, I found out that the isp was getting ripped off by the carrier as they were throttling the isp and the isp didn't know. Very quickly the problem was fixed once that announcement was made. Your problem sounds like a twin of this.

I would first start by wiring your computer if you haven't already. You can't have wireless unreliability coloring your data. Then run some traceroutes as well as pingplotter and see if you can figure out which hop is the issue. Then gather some data and turn it in. And get as many other customers involved as you can. The bigger mob you have, the quicker the isp will look into it.

Jul 26, 2019
So I've found out that my ISP buys bandwidth from a bigger isp and the latency may be caused because they oversold the network. I also believe there is a separate problem at the same time with my modem\router because im getting 230ms pings to my own modem on a wired connection.

TRENDING THREADS