Trojan fake av

sskeleton10

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi. I got malwairebytes pro and avast free, and free superantispyware on my computer.
On my malwairebytes this thing pops up and says trojan fakeav, do u want to remove protection, ignore, or quarantine.
when i hit quarantine, after a minute the same message pops up. do u know what the problem is. do i need ot reboot my pc?

shoul;d i be worried why avast free did not detect it. or is the free one not supposed to detect it?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
You need to first boot on SAFE MODE, then run your malwarebytes on SAFE MODE.

If it doesn't work, then try the superantispyware also on SAFE MODE.

last resource, get NOD32.

about NOD32, I notice that it doesn't work on SAFE MODE as good.
(it finds some of my old games as threats)
so you need to run NOD32 on your normal Windows screen and keep it running on the background.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
MBAM works better and was designed to run in Windows Normal Mode. If you can run it in Normal mode then you should. If you can not but it will run in Safe Mode only then that is better than nothing, but once you have the system running better you should scan again in Normal Mode.

Theres a really good chance that if you have all those scanners running at the same time what you are seeing as a trojan is actually a signature one of the other programs uses to spot a trojan .

Use 1 antivirus all the time . Run a second one from time to time ....but only once you have temporarily disabled the other .

Misty Joe

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

update your malwarebytes or your antivirus program. This would help you remove the same. However, if it doesn't help that much, try using any other protection tools such as paretologic or comodo etc. My PC was also infected with one such virus with the nameTrojan.FakeAv.dcan and I removed it with Comodo.

Try this... http://www.vir.us.com/trojan-fakeav-dcan-removal-guide-get-rid-of-bogus-anti-virus-program

But yes, as drwho1 said, first boot your PC in the safe mode and then run the security program.