Tropical fishtank + Zalman reserator to cool FX 9590

knocker2017

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
I have an over the top you can say water cooling solution. I have an Asus crosshair v formula-z motherboard and got the most powerful CPU for this board the FX9590 to go with my GTX 1080 TI and as everyone knows this CPU gets ridiculously hot. I have a HTC Vive that puts a lot of load on the processor and my current water cooling system, the Zalman reserator 1 is no match to cool it down. The FX9590 reaches temps up to 70c when playing games. I was going to get a custom made tropical fish tank (with fish) and thought why not link it up to my PC water cooling system.
So I have ordered all the bits I think I need;

Hailea HX-6830 inline water pump
EF filter booster
Elitech E-1000
Aquarium heater
Custom made tank about 900x400x400h

Now my water circulation was going to go like so; From the HX-6830 pump to the Zalman reserator to one side of the tank. Then from the other side of the tank to the CPU then to the EF filter then back to the HX-6830 Pump.
The fishtank temperature will be monitored by the E-1000 and will automatically heat the tank with the Aquarium heater once temps fall below 26c and go off once the temperature goes over 28c. I am just hoping that when the PC is on, the temperature of the tank will not go over 28c or I will need and extra reservoir. The water will also be treated to accommodate the fish.

What do you think guys, is this possible or am I just going over the top here cooling an FX9590?

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I knew what my answer was going to be when I read the first line: No.

You want to share water which is safe for fish with a fluid cooling system for a pc? There are so many problems with this. There are additives to custom watercooling fluids you need to add such as anti-bacterial and anti-corrosion treatments. This will very definitely harm or even kill the fish. Failure to use these additives will cause your water blocks to clog up with algae.

Just don't go there. Just make a kickass custom loop which doesn't endanger the lives of fish, cause your pc loop to be clogged with bits of fish shit which get past the filter and allows you to colour the fluid to your hearts content.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

no such thing as over the top, ive seen some crazy things in my time, and im not young, one guy went to the hardware store and brought a load of copper water pipe, drilled 2 holes through his house wall to the outside and dug 2 holes, he burried the copper pipe 5ft underground in his garden and back in his house, hooked his water cooling system up to it, used the cool soil to keep it cool.

Ive seen people throw there radiators into buckets of ice or water.

All sorts, maybe put your radiators under the stones, dont use the same water out of the fish tank, regardless of filters.

For all that money you could have bought a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and had a cpu that leaves the FX9590 for dust. Even if you get the FX9590 working properly its just is not that powerful modern standards, usually out performed by a stock modern i5.

knocker2017

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

I do realise that and I will be upgrading my motherboard and replacing my CPU at some point, but I just want to create a cool loop regardless of what component it will be cooling.

knocker2017

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

So maybe fish isn’t a good idea, my backup was turtles or even jellyfish lol. I am going to create the loop, without fish and see how it goes. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS