[SOLVED] Troubble with i7 4790K + H81MC

Dec 21, 2018
Hi! This is my first post here since everything ive ever done has gone smoothly before. But not today :/
I felt that it was time to upgrade my pc as i havent done that since 2014 or so, and the way i did it was to buy a new graphics card , cpu and a new cooler to the cpu ofc.
My motherboard is a H81M-C and i used an Intel core i5 4670 with it and an asus radeon HD7870.
I got an 1070TI cerberus + an Intel core i7 4790K and went to uppgrade..
First thing i did was to upgrade the bios to the latest version. Booted it in bios just to make sure before swapping cpu, and then went to do just that. When starting the computer with the new i7 4790K i get no picture, yet it seems to boot past bios as the computer doesnt turn off with just a press on the power button, instead i needed to hold it down like you need to in windows. I tried removing cables, ram etc but to no avail. Then i tried refitting my old cpu (bios said "new cpu registered, dunno if this means it recognised the i7 or not), got picture and booted to windows, then without touching anything i refitted the i7 again, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
Im thinking it must be defect as i handled it very carefully. The cooler i use with it isa Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Solution
When I upgraded from i5 to 4790k the top PCI slot stopped working, however the motherboard outputs were functioning and the second PCI slot as well.
If you still have the problem, you might try to contact the motherboard manufacturer´s support. Also check the RAM timings in BIOS. Onboard graphics use RAM, test deafult and auto setting!
Dec 21, 2018

I tried Hdmi, vga, dvi all 3 works good with the i5 but to no avail with the i7. No i have not tried other PCI slots

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
When I upgraded from i5 to 4790k the top PCI slot stopped working, however the motherboard outputs were functioning and the second PCI slot as well.
If you still have the problem, you might try to contact the motherboard manufacturer´s support. Also check the RAM timings in BIOS. Onboard graphics use RAM, test deafult and auto setting!

Solution