Troubel overclocking fx 8320 + Asus m5a97 evo R2.0

JuliusJesse

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Hello community,

I am having a hard time overclocking my Amd FX-8320. I managed to get it to 4.4 GHz and it was stable with 30 minutes on prime95 and I had an maximum temperature of 61* C, but every time I put the pc into sleep or sometimes even when starting the pc up, I get a black screen or it freezes. Nothing works anymore. I then have to restart the computer and then it comes with an message saying failed to overclock and it resets the bios. This only happens when overclocking and the higher the overclock, the sooner it happens. I tryed turning on HPC mode and putting LLC on auto, but no succes.

Here are some of my computer specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz CL9 2x4 gb
Graphics Card: MSI Nvidia GTX 760
SSD: Kingston SSDNow v300 60gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

I followed both of these guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

I really hope anyone can help me.

Jules

The VRM's on that board aren't the best, I had it and could only hit about a 4.3 stable OC on it. With my new board in my sig, I can go higher.

In reality though, anything you get over the 3.5ghz is a bonus. There is no set amount you should get, but the motherboard and case cooling, VRM cooling, etc, are going to limit you. People who do massive overclocking have to water cool their VRM's, CPU, everything just to start getting past 4.5.

JuliusJesse

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014

I know the vrm's aren't the best but I have seen people hitting higher clocks on the same board. At 4.3 mine freezes after some time.

JuliusJesse

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014

XFX Core Edition Pro 550 W. I did a little test online and it said my system draws about 500 W, so I think it should be enough to overclock a little. Also it is a 80 plus bronze psu.

Latest posts