Trouble about voltage settings!

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have a P4 Northwood socket 478 2.8 fsb 200. I am trying to figure out some basic information about my voltage settings. I went to intel to find out my core voltage, as well as, read about other users. I came up with 1.525 but iam a little confused, because I have the program cpuz and it reads 2.6 voltage settings. What is my voltage line? And what is my suggested core max before overclocking? Thanks for any help! I new to all this. I am presenting looking to build a new rig, as well as, max out the one I have. I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS420 - P4 Northwood 478 2.8 w/ Hyperthreading. Thank You!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Dear god, 2.6v in a CPU. You might have an outdated version of CPU-Z. Your best bet for overclocking on your CPU is to use ClockGen at www.CPUID.org, download that and use it to overclock, u can adjust voltage in it too, least on the one for my mobo you can.

~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hey thanks, I have ordered some books on overclocking as well. On my computer, the bios doesn't allow u to adjust any settings. I have the motherboard monitor and was wonderings which of the core values was my core voltage line and which was my cpu voltage reading. I am just confused because noone else with a northwood 2.8 seems to have voltage readings of 2.6?? Could you instruct me to basic understanding on reading my voltage settings. I appreciate your time and your help! Thank U!

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hey thanks! I will do that. Is it possible to do slight overclock for a per formance boost without watercooling or once I dive in, I literally need water! Also with overclocking my cpu, is extra fans required? My cpu is idling at about 40 degrees Celcius.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Your voltage should never exceed 1.6v, and should stay about 1.45-1.55v for your CPU. There should be a reading that says "Vcore" which is your CPU voltage. You won't need watercooling until you hit over 3.4-3.6GHz, and even than you should do fine on air (because it's not a Prescott). I would suggest getting some more fans if your budget allows, or just do some airflow changes to increase airflow on the CPU, make sure you got intake and exhaust properly setup, that way you can keep temps down and overclock more.

If you want to know more, feel free to ask here or give me a Private Message and we can chat.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
:) I went to the supported site and I did not see my motherboard represented for clockgen. My voltage settings read the same on cpuz ver. 1.31 and motherboard monitor(2.6)??? core 0 reads 2.66 and core 1 read 3.18. Maybe I am reading wrong! Thanks for your patience!

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
:D Hey I downloaded that pc wizard and finallly got an accurate read on my cpu voltage 1.505. It is only up hill from here. Do you know of any other suggestions for overclocking cpu software or the correct configuration for my particular setup.
Motherboard Asus p4sd-vx
Chipset i865PE
Processor P4 mPGA478
Thanks for your instruction!
Don't give a man fish - teach him to fish!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That's a nice philosophy, and because of it, I'll look for some stuff to help you out, I should have something by tomorrow when I get home from school

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
:D Thank you, and your labor is appreciated! My family and I are from New Orleans, but because of the storm, we have relocated to Texas. Once my kids get out of school, I'll be heading to Morgan city, LA. I am thinking about technical school. I am eager to learn and build the ultimate rig of my choice! Peace! My son tells me Dreams + Action = Reality!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Seems like you have a loving family, that's rare nowadays and it's good to hear.

As for the topic,

This: http://www.cpuid.org/download/Tw865.zip will allow you to tweak your RAM timings, and it's designed for your i865 chipset, so it should work fine. Check out this: http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/links/ocsoft_links.html

That website has alot of programs there for overclocking, read the description and give them a shot.

Good luck with your move and I hope everything works out for you.

Onesimus319

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
:lol: I was successful in getting s program to work with my particular socket MB and chipset! I am monitoring the temperature and it seems to be maintaining a stable 40 Degrees C. I overclocked my cpu 2.8 to 3006.44 I used Softfsb. I had to get some PLL #s off the MB. But the really cool thing is the program allowed me to configure in a fine tuning mode. I was able to move in small increments. I have a question??? How can I monitor my cpu temperature while play a game for instance or is there a program to check the stability of the overclocked speed, as well as, know when to shut down before it may become dangerously hot? All your help has been greatly appreciated! You showed me how to catch my first fish! Thankssss :lol:

In His Service(fish)!

hijodeltiger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i have exactly the same mobo, and i have no means of upgrading now. could you explain me exactly what you had to do to get this program to work?