Mar 19, 2020
Hello,
I am currently building a pc for the first time but I have encountered problems with accessing the BIOS. In looking for the solution, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is potentially related to either/or my USB keyboard and MSI motherboard (see specs below).

1. Given I have the MSI MPG motherboard, I theorize that I am unable to disable Fast Boot. Resources state that all that is needed is to download a more updated BIOS from a different USB and go into disable fast boot that way, thus installing the more updated version into my current pc.

2. On the other hand, I have read that because I am using a USB keyboard, MSI only supports PS/2 keyboards so the "true solution" is to switch keyboards.
(The keyboard I was originally planning to use also has problems in itself due to its inherent optimizations for gaming.)

At this point, I have considered resetting the factory settings by dealing with the CMOS in the motherboard but even then I’m unsure if that would do anything because I haven’t at all touched the settings of BIOS.

NOTE: I do not think the problem rests in my CPU/GPU/etc components as I have already checked for potential errors in these areas. I have switched out my keyboards for different USB keyboards and switched around where I plugged these keyboards in. I have also switched monitors after dealing with a Dell tech guy on the other line.

Additionally, my Windows 10 is already plugged into the pc but it isn’t able to load either; presumably, because I can’t even access the BIOS. All that comes up is the power save mode.

Thoughts on what I can do to solve this problem? Are any of my own theories likely?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard (AMD AM4, PCIe 4.0, DDR4, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI, ATX)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit – Black
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S500B/AM)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC GAMING, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans, RGB LED, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3162-KR
Phanteks Pro M Series (PH-ES515PTG_BK) Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case, Black
WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD10EZEX
Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard – IP42 Dust and Water Resistance – 6 Programmable Macro Keys – Dedicated Media Keys - Detachable Palm Rest Included
Dell Computer Ultrasharp U2415 24.0-Inch Screen LED Monitor, Black

Last edited:
Hello,
I am currently building a pc for the first time but I have encountered problems with accessing the BIOS. In looking for the solution, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is potentially related to either/or my USB keyboard and MSI motherboard (see specs below).

1. Given I have the MSI MPG motherboard, I theorize that I am unable to disable Fast Boot. Resources state that all that is needed is to download a more updated BIOS from a different USB and go into disable fast boot that way, thus installing the more updated version into my current pc.

2. On the other hand, I have read that because I am using a USB keyboard, MSI only supports PS/2 keyboards so the "true solution" is to switch keyboards.
(The keyboard I was originally planning to use also has problems in itself due to its inherent optimizations for gaming.)

At this point, I have considered resetting the factory settings by dealing with the CMOS in the motherboard but even then I’m unsure if that would do anything because I haven’t at all touched the settings of BIOS.

NOTE: I do not think the problem rests in my CPU/GPU/etc components as I have already checked for potential errors in these areas. I have switched out my keyboards for different USB keyboards and switched around where I plugged these keyboards in. I have also switched monitors after dealing with a Dell tech guy on the other line.

Additionally, my Windows 10 is already plugged into the pc but it isn’t able to load either; presumably, because I can’t even access the BIOS. All that comes up is the power save mode.

Thoughts on what I can do to solve this problem? Are any of my own theories likely?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard (AMD AM4, PCIe 4.0, DDR4, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI, ATX)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S500B/AM)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC GAMING, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans, RGB LED, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3162-KR
WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD10EZEX
Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard – IP42 Dust and Water Resistance – 6 Programmable Macro Keys – Dedicated Media Keys - Detachable Palm Rest Included
All new MBs support USB KBs and mice, you theory about fast boot is most probably correct but BIOS should still be accessible by spamming Del key or whichever is designated for that early enough during POST.
There's chance that Fast boot would be disabled if CMOS is reset to factory defaults.
If not, try forcing shutdown during POST by shutting off PSU, after few times you should get a message to press F1 to enter BIOS and then you can turn fast boot off (don't helps much anyway).
If windows were installed on some other system, they likely will not boot past power saving or safe mode for lack of proper drivers. Would need to be reinstalled,

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hello,

What type of PSU do you have? When you turn on the computer, does the power supply turn on, do you see any light on the motherboard and are the case fans spinning? Does the Heatsink fan also start spinning?

Mar 19, 2020
What type of PSU do you have? When you turn on the computer, does the power supply turn on, do you see any light on the motherboard and are the case fans spinning? Does the Heatsink fan also start spinning?
All fans and lights are working as you listed including the PSU fan. Motherboard light is on.

PSU details: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 7 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-0550-Y1

Mar 19, 2020
All new MBs support USB KBs and mice, you theory about fast boot is most probably correct but BIOS should still be accessible by spamming Del key or whichever is designated for that early enough during POST.
There's chance that Fast boot would be disabled if CMOS is reset to factory defaults.
If not, try forcing shutdown during POST by shutting off PSU, after few times you should get a message to press F1 to enter BIOS and then you can turn fast boot off (don't helps much anyway).
If windows were installed on some other system, they likely will not boot past power saving or safe mode for lack of proper drivers. Would need to be reinstalled,
Thank you for the help but this unfortunately did not resolve my problem. Do you have any idea of what I could do next?