Question trouble after swapping CPUs

jaket83

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Last year I bought my son a cheap refurbished desktop, and I wanted to upgrade the CPU and RAM. It had an AMD Phenom II and 2x1gb ddr3. The MOBO is an HP 785G, but I cant find any more info on it. It has a 240w PSU. Here is the link for the build: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01865086#AbT1

I bought an AMD Black Edition FX 4130 and installed it with thermal paste, and it fit in fine, no bent pins or anything. I tried to boot and was getting warning code beeps (9). So I reset the CMOS, and tried again. No beeps after that. It seems to start up but I'm not getting a video signal to the monitor. Is there a chance that PSU is not powerful enough?

I went to a site and did the calculations of the components and it seemed to be enough. I was going to put the old CPU in to see if it would boot, but my son bent the pins on it, so that is out of the question, unfortunately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Might actually be an AM3 socketed board, but OEMs never update bios for new CPU support, and it's still AM3 vs AM3+

If you have a HP that came with a 6th Generation Intel, and update the bios to one from 2 months ago, it still won't support 7th Generation that aftermarket boards supported upgrading 2+ years ago.

So for an upgrade on that board you are likely stuck with the options HP shipped them out with.

Last edited:

jaket83

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Might actually be an AM3 socketed board, but OEMs never update bios for new CPU support, and it's still AM3 vs AM3+

If you have a HP that came with a 6th Generation Intel, and update the bios to one from 2 months ago, it still won't support 7th Generation that aftermarket boards supported upgrading 2+ years ago.

So for an upgrade on that board you are likely stuck with the options HP shipped them out with.

Yeah, I was under the impression that it was a AM3 socket. I looked up the compatitibilty before buying the CPU and it was listed as compatible on the website.

jaket83

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Decent board with support for the 4130 since the release bios

I went and got it tonight, and it was dark. I didnt look to hard at it and it wasnt the board I was expecting. Unfortunately, the one I got IS a AM3+ socket BUT doesnt show that it is compatible with the processor I got. I should have just added RAM and been done with it. UGH. This is the board I ended up with. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-12#ov Not sure why its not compatible. 😖