Question Trouble Bitstreaming TrueHD Atmos - Denon X3700H - LG CineBeam HU810P

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Issue Description:
When playing AC3, EAC3, DTS content, the bit-streaming works properly. The display on the X3700H front panel display reads DD or DTS. When playing TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS-HD MA content, the X3700H displays Stereo, and there is no sound. But take note that this problem only occurs when the output from the receiver is to the LG CineBeam HU810P projector. When the projector is swapped out for a BenQ monitor, the TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS-HD MA content bit-streams correctly. The front display on the receiver reads correctly and sound plays on the speakers.

Connections and Equipment:
HTPC connected to Denon X3700H receiver, connected to LG CineBeam HU810P projector (or BenQ monitor).
HDMI Cables:
  1. HTPC to Receiver: 1.5 Meter Unitek Certified Premium HDMI 2.0 cable
  2. Receiver to LG Projector: 10 Meter Hama HDMI cable rated for 18 Gbps, 4k @ 60Hz
  3. Receiver to BenQ Monitor: 1.5 Meter HDMI 1.4 cable (old basic cable included with monitor)

HDMI Settings in Receiver:
Audio Out: AVR (set to play on AVR speakers and not the TV)
ARC: Off (Have tried with ARC both on and off)

Other Notes:
  1. Denon AVR and LG Projector are updated to the latest firmware.
  2. The LG projector has 3 HDMI outputs, 1 with eARC and 2 others without. Tried all 3 HDMI connections.

Based on what's happening, my understanding is that the Denon AVR is detecting a device that accepts or is capable of audio when connected to the LG projector, and is thus sending the audio stream to it. But it should not be doing this since the HDMI - Audio Out settings are set to AVR.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Issue Description:
When playing AC3, EAC3, DTS content, the bit-streaming works properly. The display on the X3700H front panel display reads DD or DTS. When playing TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS-HD MA content, the X3700H displays Stereo, and there is no sound. But take note that this problem only occurs when the output from the receiver is to the LG CineBeam HU810P projector. When the projector is swapped out for a BenQ monitor, the TrueHD, Atmos, or DTS-HD MA content bit-streams correctly. The front display on the receiver reads correctly and sound plays on the speakers.

Connections and Equipment:
HTPC connected to Denon X3700H receiver, connected to LG CineBeam HU810P projector (or BenQ monitor).
HDMI Cables:
  1. HTPC to Receiver: 1.5 Meter Unitek Certified Premium HDMI 2.0 cable
  2. Receiver to LG Projector: 10 Meter Hama HDMI cable rated for 18 Gbps, 4k @ 60Hz
  3. Receiver to BenQ Monitor: 1.5 Meter HDMI 1.4 cable (old basic cable included with monitor)
HDMI Settings in Receiver:
Audio Out: AVR (set to play on AVR speakers and not the TV)
ARC: Off (Have tried with ARC both on and off)

Other Notes:
  1. Denon AVR and LG Projector are updated to the latest firmware.
  2. The LG projector has 3 HDMI outputs, 1 with eARC and 2 others without. Tried all 3 HDMI connections.
Based on what's happening, my understanding is that the Denon AVR is detecting a device that accepts or is capable of audio when connected to the LG projector, and is thus sending the audio stream to it. But it should not be doing this since the HDMI - Audio Out settings are set to AVR.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.
What is your source device and does it have more than 1 hdmi output? If it were possible I would just connect 1 hdmi cable to the receiver and another hdmi cable to the projector and see if the receiver operates properly connected that way.

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
What is your source device and does it have more than 1 hdmi output? If it were possible I would just connect 1 hdmi cable to the receiver and another hdmi cable to the projector and see if the receiver operates properly connected that way.
The source device is a home theater PC (HTPC). It has just 1 HDMI output.

But I did think of a similar workaround; by adding an additional graphics card so I would have more HDMI ports, and then running audio and video separately. But this would mean the menu overlays when changing settings on the AVR, which appears on screen, will no longer be possible.

Reactions: dwd999

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I heard back from Denon customer service, and they initially sent some steps. All of which I tried to no avail.

In the second email, they said it could be a hand-shake issue between the LG Projector and the Receiver. I agree that this could be the case. They said that they had notified their development team. But for now, there is no straightforward fix. The advice was to just make sure that I'm on the latest firmware.

Any other tips/suggestions for the group?