Trouble booting, can't access windows

Jun 4, 2018
OK, I'm having a problem with my PC. I built it two years ago, with these parts:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card

Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Monitor: Acer - G237HLbi 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

Last week I decided to upgrade that SSD with a 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo (nothing is wrong with the other one, just wanted more space). Installation went fine. Spent a few days reinstalling all my games and playing. On Thursday, I was playing Diablo 3, when the game crashed and then the PC shut down. I was unable to turn it back on. When I tried, the power button would light up, fans would go, but nothing appeared on the screen. No windows, no BIOS, no error messages, just nothing. I try this a few more times.

Upon advice from a friend, the next day, I start reseating everything, checking cables, and removing parts. When I remove the video card, and plug the HDMI cable into the motherboard, I am able to access BIOS. I am not able to get to any kind of repair or reinstallation options. I've tried booting to the new SSD, the old SSD, and the original Windows 10 USB. Sometimes I get to Windows, maybe one out of 6 or 7 times, but I can only access it for maybe one minute before I get a Bsod and it shuts down. I've seen maybe 10 different error messages this week. These include:

Bad Pool Header
kernel auto boost invalid lock release
Interrupt exception not handled
Kmode exception not handled
Invalid process detach attempt
System service exception
Dpc watchdog violation

That's about when i stopped looking up each one. These are the first blue screens I've gotten since I built it. I have the two SSDs, two monitors, but only one of all the other parts and no access to spares or other PCs.

I have made changes to the boot order in BIOS since all this started, but besides that, I'd never made any changes to anything there. I'm including pictures of the screens I get (excluding Bios - http://imgur.com/gallery/zPDg1Eh) . It seems no matter which options I choose, I just get stuck in this loop.

Any advice you could give me to solve this problem would be amazing. Also, I apologize for any formatting errors. Typing this on my phone isn't much fun.

The fact that you typed all of this on your phone is astounding. I will try my best to be of service to you. Let's start with a few things, in basic Q&A format, probably the easiest for you to answer.

1. The Bad Pool Header, Kernel Autoboost, and Interrupt Exception are likely driver-based errors. I know you have tried booting without the GPU, but have you tried running the system with JUST the 120 GB SSD hooked up? (No HDD's, No Other SSD, No GPU, No Excessive Peripherals Such As Network Adapters Apart from the Keyboard and Mouse and your HDMI hooked up to the board)

2. Have you tried booting to safe mode at all? You should be receiving repair options after 2 consecutive failed attempts to boot into windows. If you aren't, then this is a much larger issue. Try booting into safe mode with your HDMI hooked up to the board, since that seems to be permitting you to at least get into the BIOS. See: https://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

3. The fact that you are running on a single stick of 8 GB is troubling. That won't allow you to troubleshoot the RAM at all. I know you don't have any access to spares, but RAM is usually the number one culprit behind this kind of issue. Can you purchase another stick of RAM, even if you have to end up returning it?

If your computer only boots on integrated graphics, i'd highly suspect either hardware or software issue with the graphics card.
One way you can rule out software drivers is boot the computer into safe mode with the monitor plugged into the graphics card. If you still can't boot into the OS via safe mode or see the bios splash screen, then you likely have a hardware problem with your graphics card.

Jun 4, 2018
1. I just tried this. Tried doing it with the old 120 and the new 500 (separately). The 120 gives me a "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media" message. The 500 freezes on the bios screen.

2. I have not been able to get to safe mode, nor any screen that gives me any kind of repair option.

3. I ran memtest last week, before all this (had a few programs that wouldn't open and I was just trying everything and it was good then. I am not opposed to ordering parts to try if they can be returned (the thought of being able to return working parts after testing them had not occured to me). I just want to try what I can and narrow the problem down if possible so I'm not doing this with multiple parts.

I'm done troubleshooting for the night now that my very curious 6-year-old is home. I'll resume in the morning when he's back at school.

TRENDING THREADS