Trouble booting from SSD, and other interesting conundrums

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hey all,

I just installed a new Intel 730 240GB SSD - my first SSD ever!

First, specs:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC
Motherboard: ASRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair 600w

I've already formatted the drive, and copied my OS and files over using EaseUS Todo Backup. Problem is, I can't boot from the SSD - and this is a problem that preceded my upgrade.

The problem: Every time I start up my computer, I am prompted to choose which drive I'd like to boot from. The first option on the list is Windows Boot Manager, followed by my SSD and HDD. If I choose my HDD or SSD, Windows will not boot. It goes to a black screen with a blinking insertion cursor, and stays there until I turn off the computer. However, if I choose Windows Boot Manager, Windows 7 boots normally with all of my data, ect - exactly how it should if booting from my 1TB HDD.

Yes, I have set the boot order in BIOS to my HDD and SSD (seperately, of course), and nothing changes.

Under Disk Management, both my SSD and HDD show up healthy and normal, with my HDD still being the boot drive. My computer definitely is booting normally with my HDD, but for some reason I have to choose the Windows Boot Manager during startup in order for it to do so.

What is going on here? I'm anxious to see what the SSD hype is all about!

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I'm hoping there's a way to get around this without a fresh reinstall.

I have a few meticulously modded games, and no storage space to back them up. Would like to keep them as they are, if possible.