Question Trouble Booting; Inconsistant, GPU problem?

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
This is a light duty photo editor/backup rig i built early 2019. I used it as a secondary for a few months, then it sat around for a few months. Now i have use for it again and im having trouble booting consistantly.

System Specs:
ASRock Pro4 B450m
AMD Athlon 200GE
8 GB GeiL 2400mhz dual channel memory
Radeon HD7770
LG 1080p 60hz.

When i boot it on GPU HDMI the fans spin up and it tries to boot, then it restarts and tries again. It will just do this repeatedly. I'm used to seeing this as a memory stick issue when my main rig doesnt want to accept an overclock. theres no OC'ing going on here though so i dont think its the memory.

So i took out the GPU, one stick of memory, reset the CMOS and plugged the HDMI cable into the MoBo port. It booted successfully on CPU's Vega powered graphics with 1 stick of memory.

So i put the 2nd stick of memory back in and it booted on the integrated GPU again.

I put the HD7770 back in and changed the HDMI cable and it wont start, thats why i think its a GPU problem...any thoughts? The computer simply isnt powerful enough to do even light photo editing and multi-tasking without that HD7770 and a little extra VRAM...and hence, useless to me as is.
Potentially relevant information: This whole system worked GREAT 2-3 months ago.....staggeringly well based on the components. However, my main rig's rx580 was having some memory trouble due to overheating, so i swapped GPUs for a few weeks while the Athlon 200ge build sat around. I havent powered it on for about 3 months at this point. The HD7770 worked well enough as a placeholder in my main rig (ryzen 5, rx580, viotek 1440p144hz), but now its not working with the Athlon build at all?!
Both cards run on Adreneline drivers (hd7770 is one of the oldest cards supported by newest drivers, but i didnt change drivers on either rig during swap so unless it did some auto-driver update without my knowledge, then they should be interchangeable, no hinge.) Luckily I am able to boot on the integrated GPU and i have a second rig so troubleshooting and messing with BIOS isnt a problem, but idk what else to do.

Can anyone offer some suggestions and guidance for my next trouble shooting steps? NEED MY PHOTO EDITOR BACK!!

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
lol everyone here is such a pain Removed about PSU's,

its a 2 year old corsair 650w non-modular psu. i forget exact make and model and speccy doesnt tell me.

anyway, thanks for your replys but the problem seems to be the 1st RAM slot.

I switched the dual-channel kit from slots 1 and 3 to slots 2 and 4 and everything is running great now.

My next step is trying to figure out how to overclock the CPU. Thanks again for your replys!

Last edited by a moderator: