Question Trouble booting into Windows after installing a new storage drive and removing the old storage drive.

cjcapo94

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
As the title says, I am having trouble with booting into Windows and keep finding myself in the BIOS page. In the BIOS page, it detects all the hard drives and the boot order looks to be in the correct order with my boot drive at the top of the order.

I decided that I wanted to upgrade my storage capacity on my computer so I upgraded from a Seagate 1 TB hard drive to a Western Digital Black 6 TB drive. Things were going well when I hooked up the hard drive, formatted it and then moved the files from the old drive to the new drive. The last thing I did was set up a new windows system image and a general backup on the new drive. After removing the files from the old, smaller drive I turned off my computer and swapped out the drive and put back in a SSD drive I had to remove in order to connect the new drive and make the data switch.

I don’t have access to my system info so I am going off of memory and what I see in BIOS:
Windows 10 operating system
ASUS Z270E motherboard
Intel i7-7700k 4.2 GHz CPU
ASUS GeForce 1080 ROG Strix edition
EVGA 750 G2
2 x 8GB G.Skill DDR4 ram sticks
Corsair cpu cooler
Storage:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB (boot drive)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB M.2
Western Digital Black 6 TB HDD

Here is a YouTube video of a recording what I am experiencing: Computer Booting Problem

Sorry for my ignorance on this issue. If anyone can help provide some insight as to what is likely going on then I would be grateful.

cjcapo94

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
did you check to see if there are hidden partition on the old drive?
try putting back the old drive and take out the new 6th drive?
I just swapped out the SSD drive to make room for the old HDD hard drive. It loads up fine. My guess is it is wanting the old hard drive due to the partition it still has?
One thing to note that I ended up doing that I forgot to mention is that I did not go the cloning route of the hard drive to the old one. There were some files that I did not want to carry over and I just copy pasted into the new partitioned drive.
I take it the computer is not happy that I remove the hard drive because it has a partition on the drive it wants?

I have attached a screenshot of the disk management page of the hard drive partitions: Disk Partition Screenshot
From what I can tell by browsing through the page, I can't delete the volume of the partition that the 1 TB drive has (Disk 0). My guess is that I made this storage an important partition that can not be deleted at the moment.

What would be the recommended course to fix this? I imagine the answer is staring me in the face but I am too ignorant to see it. Sorry for my computer ignorance.

EDIT: It should also be noted the 1 TB hard drive I want to replace was formatted with the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition instead of GUID Partition Table (GPT). I am not sure why I chose MBR for the main storage in the past when I built this system.

Would that be the issue? And if so, how would one fix that?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Your boot files are on the hard drive not your local SSD where that OS resides. This is why we tell people to always remove all other drives before installing windows

bcdedit Can put all your boot files on the drive you want them on

Reactions: Phaaze88

cjcapo94

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
Your boot files are on the hard drive not your local SSD where that OS resides. This is why we tell people to always remove all other drives before installing windows

bcdedit Can put all your boot files on the drive you want them on
Ah, I see. It was my first time building a PC and I did not know that about the boot files potentially going to the wrong drive. I will look into bcdedit and try to find some sort of tutorial for the bcdedit tool. Hopefully I can find some video that details how to be able to change the boot files.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

cjcapo94

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017