Trouble booting up

LuxAeterna

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Hey guys,

I have recently put together my PC and started it up for the first time yesterday. It runs all well n good. I can access the BIOS to which i have selected my USB worth windows 10 on it as boot priority #1.

I restart the pc, it takes me to windows installation. Currently i only have my M.2 SSD plugged into my motherboard for storage. So when it ask where to install Windows i selected that and proceed. It installs perfectly fine and then my PC restarts when its complete.

The system boots up and takes me to a screen where i press F1 to enter BIOS again. I remove the USB and change the boot priority to my M.2 SSD. Save and reset.

This is where I'm having the problem. Instead of it now booting from my ssd and going into Windows it just takes me to the screen where i press F1 to enter setup in BIOS. Im not sure why it's not loading windows.

I have this hardware if it helps:
ASUS Extreme VIII | GTX 1080 water-cooled | Corsair 2x8Gb 3200Mhz Memory.

Do i need to update my BIOS?
Do i need to attach another storage device when installing windows?

Any tips would help cos im stuck as to what to do.

Cheers

Solution
First thing... Did you make sure the BIOS is up to date before you started?

Also, you should not need to set the boot priority away from the M2. F12 usually brings up a boot selector menu that you can set for the one boot cycle. The new BIOS's (eufi ?) build a boot setup on them. By setting the boot to the USB IN THE BIOS, you tell it to always boot to it.

Set the BIOS boot to the M2... Make sure it is truly recognized by the BIOS, then:

Boot up w/ the USB in but do the F12 and select the USB, reinstall windows, when finished see what you get. Shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.
Your BIOS changes may be the cause of this problem.

Let's start over from the beginning. Wipe your M.2 drive. Get into BIOS. Set M.2 as boot priority number 1. Set USB as boot priority number 2. Then boot to the installer and do your thing. When it restarts, it will boot to M.2 and ignore the USB that's plugged in.

First thing... Did you make sure the BIOS is up to date before you started?

Also, you should not need to set the boot priority away from the M2. F12 usually brings up a boot selector menu that you can set for the one boot cycle. The new BIOS's (eufi ?) build a boot setup on them. By setting the boot to the USB IN THE BIOS, you tell it to always boot to it.

Set the BIOS boot to the M2... Make sure it is truly recognized by the BIOS, then:

Boot up w/ the USB in but do the F12 and select the USB, reinstall windows, when finished see what you get. Shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

Solution

LuxAeterna

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016

Updated my BIOS to most recent one on their website, reinstalled windows setting M.2 drive as priority 1 and it worked a charm. Thanks for your help and everyone else. Regards