Question Trouble booting using an 970 EVO NVMe M.2 with ASRock H470 Pro4

Aug 9, 2020
Hello,

I have been building a new PC with the ASRock H470M Pro4 motherboard and intel i3 10100 CPU. I am having issues with booting my machine. I am using a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe as the boot drive installed in the Ultra M.2 slot on the motherboard.

I am loading windows using an installation media USB drive, everything goes smoothly and windows loads up.

I then attach a SATA HDD and the ASRock logo gets stuck on the screen (the one that comes after the initial one where we can enter the BIOS by hitting F2). I have tried different SATA HDDs on different ports, with the same result.

Here is the most frustrating thing though, the screen still gets stuck even after removing all the SATA HDDs. The only option I am left with at that point is to reinstall windows, which works. However, the same stuff happens again when I connect a SATA HDD.

Also when the screen gets stuck the VGA and BOOT leds on the motherboard light up. I don't know what that corresponds to on the POST Status Checker (PSC).

Here's the stuff I have tried and my configuration:
  1. Disabled CSM in the BIOS
  2. SATA Mode Selection = AHCI
  3. Disconnected the RAM sticks, checked them one at a time.
  4. Running this setup off of the HDMI port of the motherboard (I don't have a graphics card as this is a NAS build).
  5. Installed the NVMe drive on the PCIe slot using an adapter (running into the same issue).
  6. Flashed BIOS to the latest version.
  7. Running all this using a 650W Seasonic PSU.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is this a boot issue or a faulty motherboard?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Which slots are you populating with your ram? If you have two sticks, populate Slots A2 and B2. Can you get into BIOS and check to see which version you're currently on? Mind recreating your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Aug 9, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Which slots are you populating with your ram? If you have two sticks, populate Slots A2 and B2. Can you get into BIOS and check to see which version you're currently on? Mind recreating your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Lutfij,

I recreated the Windows installation media with a newer version of Windows 10 using Rufus and so far everything seems to be running fine. There is no issue with adding SATA drives, the system is booting without issues.

However, after adding a 10TB 3.5" SATA drive the boot times have increased greatly. With just the NVMe drive, the boot time is around 5sec, now it's more like 20sec. I can hear the 10TB drive spinning up initially and only after it stops spinning up does the loading windows screen show up. Is there any way to speed this up?

Thanks in advance,
Alex