[SOLVED] Trouble choosing a PSU

fccatuncan

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018
Currently on the 11th revision of my build list (due to stock shortages and price hikes) seen below:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
MOBO: Asrock A520M AC
RAM: 16gb (dual) DDR4 3200 ADATA XPG D30 CL16 1.35v
GPU: Galax 1650S Super EX 1-click OC
HDD: 1tb WD Blue, 64mb 7200rpm
SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD 2.5 sata (to be used as a boot drive)
CASE & COOLING: darkFlash Water Square 5 TG, 3x120mm fans (stock), 1x120mm IDCooling XF12025 74.5CFM (to be used for exhaust)
OTHERS: 1 x Omega Nova 2 fan hub (10 ports), 1 x Asus 8x external DVDRW (USB 3.0), 1 x APC UPS 650VA 325W

The shop I'm planning to buy from (I'm in Southeast Asia btw) only has the ff. PSUs I've observed most forums consider to be of notable quality:
  1. Corsair CV650 (grey label), CV550, CV450
  2. Corsair CX650M (their 550 and 450-watt models are all sold out :()
Now I was planning to go for a CV650 but saw several posts that it isn't really suited for builds with dedicated GPUs. What's really going on in my head is, since I'll only be using a 1650S and a 3300X (no overclocking), would the CV650 be enough (in terms of build quality, I heard it's quite better than its lower watt siblings) or should I go for the CXM? Or would 650W be overkill and should I stick to the CV550 / CV450?

Not planning to overclock until I get my hands on a B550 motherboard and a Noctua aftermarket cooler.

If it matters mentioning this, apart from the Corsairs, the shop also offers Seasonic Core GC / GM 550W models but I can't find any solid reviews on them. The rest of the PSUs are a mix of Aerocool, Coolermaster (MWE v1, v2), FSP (Hyper K), SilverStone (Strider Bronze).

The PSU is the last thing I want to cheap out on especially for my first rig :D

Last edited:
Solution
The warranty part now has my attention. Just saw they're selling the Seasonic Core GM550 for P4,250 ($88.46) and the CX650M for P4,850 ($100.94) and this is a good thing since I have an alternative in case one of 'em runs out of stock. Is the M12II Evo better / lesser than the S12II? They're selling 620-watt models for P4,150 ($86.38).

It's weird though coz the shop's listed manufacturing warranty for the Seasonic Core GM is 5 years. For the Corsair CX650M, it's 2 years. Should I be concerned?

I'm not sure, but that definitely tells me to avoid the CX650M. Still, maybe the warranties are different outside of the US.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you go with the CV, ONLY get the CV650. Do not get the CV550 or 450, as their designs are a bit different.

That said, I'd lean more toward the CXM instead, as it's a bit better quality. Still not idea, but I think better than the CV.

If you can get the 2017 CX (not-M), those are a step up.

See the first and second links in my signature - though, I realize that availability in SE Asia is notably different than in the US.

I know that the first link in my signature describes the Core as better than the Seasonic S12II (the S12II is a much older design, but very reliable), though below the Focus. Might be worth considering. I'd guess it to be better than the CV or CX-M, given that it has a longer warranty (7 years) and a higher efficiency (80 Plus Gold). Efficiency is secondary, though - I think the longer warranty suggests their confidence in the product (and not wanting the cost of fulfilling warranty claims)

Reactions: fccatuncan

fccatuncan

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018
If you go with the CV, ONLY get the CV650. Do not get the CV550 or 450, as their designs are a bit different.

That said, I'd lean more toward the CXM instead, as it's a bit better quality. Still not idea, but I think better than the CV.

If you can get the 2017 CX (not-M), those are a step up.

See the first and second links in my signature - though, I realize that availability in SE Asia is notably different than in the US.

I know that the first link in my signature describes the Core as better than the Seasonic S12II (the S12II is a much older design, but very reliable), though below the Focus. Might be worth considering. I'd guess it to be better than the CV or CX-M, given that it has a longer warranty (7 years) and a higher efficiency (80 Plus Gold). Efficiency is secondary, though - I think the longer warranty suggests their confidence in the product (and not wanting the cost of fulfilling warranty claims)

The warranty part now has my attention. Just saw they're selling the Seasonic Core GM550 for P4,250 ($88.46) and the CX650M for P4,850 ($100.94) and this is a good thing since I have an alternative in case one of 'em runs out of stock. Is the M12II Evo better / lesser than the S12II? They're selling 620-watt models for P4,150 ($86.38).

It's weird though coz the shop's listed manufacturing warranty for the Seasonic Core GM is 5 years. For the Corsair CX650M, it's 2 years. Should I be concerned?

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I'm not sure, but that definitely tells me to avoid the CX650M. Still, maybe the warranties are different outside of the US.

Solution