Trouble Choosing a Monitor

tanz700

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Hello,

I have been pretty much dead set on getting the Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor for the past couple months. I finally saved up some extra cash to buy a monitor and began to do a little more research about monitors in general to ensure that I am getting the best buy.

I keep reading alot of mixed things about both TN and IPS panels. Many love the TN panels due to the great response time in gaming... however I have read numerous reviews regarding poor color quality (may be exaggerated?). IPS seems to offer the best picture/color quality, but again many reviewers seem to complain about ghosting and input lag (again, may be exaggerated?).

My rig is primarily used for gaming and movies. I do play some fast paced shooters like CoD in which the response time and 144hz would be great, but also enjoy many single player games such as The Witcher, Tomb Raider, etc in which I think I'd prefer the better picture quality.

Currently, I have an i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3, and 4GB GTX 770 Classified. I can take full advantage of 120hz - 144hz in some games, and almost all games I get over 60 fps.

Thoughts? I'd consider an IPS over the TN if it is at least 120hz and <8ms response time... but can't seem to find anything that fast. The Asus IPS models seem to only got to about 76hz. I am frequently seeing rave reviews about a Dell IPS monitor as well.

Also, thoughts on G-Sync? I hear alot of good things. I was waiting for Asus to officially release a 1080p g-sync. I see Acer, BenQ etc releasing g-sync monitors as well but they cost an arm and a leg. Should I wait for more 1080p g-sync options?

Thank you for your opinions!

I would stick with the Asus that you found originally. It looks great and won't break the bank.
The G-Sync monitors are very nice, but they're like having an i7-5820k and an X99 motherboard with $300 RAM. It's very expensive now and if you wait for a little bit longer the prices will drop significantly as new and better products come out. The beginning of new technology that's a big step up are usually overpriced at first. I would get one later (maybe closer to the middle or end of 2015) when the prices drop a little bit more.

tanz700

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

Thank you for the reply. I feel better about getting the Asus now. I agree with you in regards to g-sync. I think I'm going to hold off on it for awhile.