[SOLVED] Trouble choosing nvme ssd

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Hi everyone. New to this board. I am in the process of buying components for a new office build. I am confused on which m.2 nvme ssd to buy. I am planning on buying a new b550 board with pcie 4 support So I can technically use a pcie 4 ssd. I have read that pcie 4 drives cant be used to their full potential currently. I also read they are really better with large sequential files not really much better than pcie 3 on random access. I am considering the drives below. This drive and build will be used for daily office work like typing documents, a little basic non fps gaming, web browser with many tabs, youtube and programming, specifically compiling code in Visual studio, connecting to a machine through a vpn. I want a powerful build but don't want to go overboard, thats where I am having trouble in how much to spend.

samsung evo plus 1tb - $150
wd black sn750 1tb - $115
Sabrent rocket q4 1tb - $160 pcie 4
Gigabyte aorus gen 4 1tb - $160 pcie 4

How much of a real world difference is there between the Samsung evo plus and a cheaper roughly $100 or below drive like a crucial or the wd i have listed above? If I decide to spend around the $150 mark doeent it make sense to go for either pcie 4 drive instead since they are similar in price? Thanks.

Solution
A lot of the new b550 mobos say that they will support the new 5000 series amd ryzen chips with a bios update. Are you saying that even after such an update there is a good chance of instability and or incompatibility ?

1.Yes,because the earlier compatible update it patch more toward to get CPU capable too "boot" into system.

2.despite all Board mention "Ready Support for 5000 Series" I have experience couple of time where New High End RYZEN series to be not supported as earlier as it release.

3.It taking at least 6 month for most of compatibility and instability to be resolve.

This all experience come from 1k of Assemble i had done on both RYZEN 2000 and 3000 Gen.
I can't say entire confirm that RYZEN 5000 will be the...

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Maybe you are correct. Wouldn't a fast nvme drive help speed up boot times, as I am using this nvme drive as a boot drive. Also would it help with visual studio as it is a pretty heavy program. Also at least on newegg, the sata drives are not much cheaper than the nvme drives, so I would rather go with nvme.

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
Maybe you are correct. Wouldn't a fast nvme drive help speed up boot times, as I am using this nvme drive as a boot drive. Also would it help with visual studio as it is a pretty heavy program. Also at least on newegg, the sata drives are not much cheaper than the nvme drives, so I would rather go with nvme.
"Wouldn't a fast nvme drive help speed up boot times " = (Surely it does but close to "very little to no" different)
" would it help with visual studio " = (and again, a little to no different. Should be more concern too how much RAM and what CPU you are using.)

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
3700x or 5600x = (3700x will be the wise choice for now. The 5600x just recently entering a market, there a lot possible chance of Mobo Incompatibility )

A lot of the new b550 mobos say that they will support the new 5000 series amd ryzen chips with a bios update. Are you saying that even after such an update there is a good chance of instability and or incompatibility ?

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020

1.Yes,because the earlier compatible update it patch more toward to get CPU capable too "boot" into system.

2.despite all Board mention "Ready Support for 5000 Series" I have experience couple of time where New High End RYZEN series to be not supported as earlier as it release.

3.It taking at least 6 month for most of compatibility and instability to be resolve.

This all experience come from 1k of Assemble i had done on both RYZEN 2000 and 3000 Gen.
I can't say entire confirm that RYZEN 5000 will be the same since i had only done 5 Unit Assemble for RYZEN 5000 which using Old Gen MOBO which been self manually BIOS updated to get it supported.

Solution

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020

I can't say entire confirm that RYZEN 5000 will be the same since i had only done 5 Unit Assemble for RYZEN 5000 which using Old Gen MOBO which been self manually BIOS updated to get it supported.

Thank you for the very important information. I did not know this. I thought after a simple bios upgrade, I would be all set. I cannot afford to wait six months for things to be stable. I would like to buy all my components by the end of the month. This will be for a critical work machine for me. I had read that no new chipset mobos will be created for the new 5000 series ryzen chips, only updating the bios for existing chipset mobos. Is this true? Will there be any mobos coming out that will have the compatibility for the new cpus out of the box?

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
Thank you for the very important information. I did not know this. I thought after a simple bios upgrade, I would be all set. I cannot afford to wait six months for things to be stable. I would like to buy all my components by the end of the month. This will be for a critical work machine for me. I had read that no new chipset mobos will be created for the new 5000 series ryzen chips, only updating the bios for existing chipset mobos. Is this true? Will there be any mobos coming out that will have the compatibility for the new cpus out of the box?
Now new mobo to be create = (if it about this year, probably. By next year, I doubt there no any new mobo to be create to utilize full potential of this new gen.)

Will there any mobo compatible out of box= (yes, likely to be at least 3 month but might not fully utilize all the functionality new gen had to offer yet)

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I will go with a nvme since the prices of them same very similar to sata 3 drives. At least the ones I am looking at. I have a list of nvme drives I am looking at and I guess it comes down to one question for me. I am going to do a good x570 mobo. It will give me the freedom to use it as an office build along with much more in the future. Since I am using x570, I have full pcie 4.0.

So my question is I hear that pcie 3 drives are not being maxed at this point in history. So does it make sense to buy an ok gen 3 drive now and upgrade later to a gen 4, when they are cheaper and can be more utilized , or should I take the cost hit now and do a gen 4 drive now?

if I did a gen 4 drive now, would I notice any speed difference to gen 3 At this point?

thanks!