Question Trouble Connecting MotionEye OS (Raspberry Pi 3) to Network Share on FreeNAS 11.2

motorboatinking

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I installed MotionEye OS 4.1.1 on my Raspberry Pi 3. I have FreeNAS 11.2 that I would like to save motion events to.

Initially I was thinking of just mounting an nfs share to /home/nfs and specifying the storage device as a custom path to /home/nfs.
I was getting a read-only error, so I used mount -o remount,rw / to create nfs/

When I run mount -t nfs <serverIP>:/mnt/MotionEye /home/nfs/ OR mount <serverIP>:/mnt/MotionEye /home/nfs/ the command just hangs.
I can mount perfectly fine from Linux Mint, and currently any device on the lan has access to that share.

If I delete the nfs share and try and mount, I get a "failed: Permission denied" error, and in FreeNAS I see a "mount request denied..." error. But with the share created, motion eye hangs and FreeNAS says nothing.

So I thought I would use an SMB share. I created the share in FreeNAS with the name MotionEye.
There was no password field when creating the share, so I'm assuming the username and password fields in the MotionEye gui are for the owner of the dataset? I also tried using root as username.

I get an error in motioneye.log ERROR: failed to mount smb share "//<ServerIP>/MotionEye" at "/data/media/motioneye_<ServerIP> _motioneye_motioneye"
I can't see the SMB share from my Windows 10 VM. I've only used NFS from FreeNAS, but everything looks like SMB should work when I look at both the share settings and the smb service settings.

I've looked at about all the settings I'm familiar with. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

Edit* It's working now. Not sure why, everything looks the same as when I was having trouble.

Last edited:
  1. Leave Motion Eye or whatever other application you're using aside.
  2. Create a SMB share on your NAS. Make sure you can access that share (read, write etc) from your Windows PC.
  3. Use same user name / password on your RPi to access the share. Make that share mounted during startup. Make sure you can access your NAS from command .
  4. Configure your app to use the mount point as an ordinary path. MotionEye does not have to know where exactly your data is stored, all it needs to know is a file/folder path.

motorboatinking

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
  1. Leave Motion Eye or whatever other application you're using aside.
  2. Create a SMB share on your NAS. Make sure you can access that share (read, write etc) from your Windows PC.
  3. Use same user name / password on your RPi to access the share. Make that share mounted during startup. Make sure you can access your NAS from command .
  4. Configure your app to use the mount point as an ordinary path. MotionEye does not have to know where exactly your data is stored, all it needs to know is a file/folder path.
I got it working, and what you said is basically what I did.

I figured it would be easiest to get SMB working with Windows, like you said. Once I saw the server from File Explorer, I went back to MotionEye and it worked right away.

TRENDING THREADS