[SOLVED] Trouble connecting old 3.5 in HDD to new PC

dantastic

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
Hi all, Ive just bought a new PC but wanted to keep using my old 6tb seagate drive. However I'm not super proficient, and am struggling to connect the drive to the new computer.

Ive connected one cable, but it isnt showing up so I presume I need to connect another one as well. However there are no cables that seem to fit.

Theres a picture here:
279572329-335349815351904-5788790041358076149-n.jpg

The motherboard is a rog strix z690 F Gaming

If anyone knows how to connect this up that would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Unfortunately, there's a bit of very bad news. Those appear to be the pins under the connector; it appears that when you pulled off the cable when moving the hard drive, you also broke off the plastic that holds the connector, allowing it to make contact with the pins.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately, there's a bit of very bad news. Those appear to be the pins under the connector; it appears that when you pulled off the cable when moving the hard drive, you also broke off the plastic that holds the connector, allowing it to make contact with the pins.

Solution

dantastic

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
Thanks guys! I managed to extract the broken piece of plastic, fit it into the new cable, and slowly clip it in, and it works! Of course it's not exactly ideal so Ill buy a new hdd and move the data across, but the data isnt lost!

Thanks for the help, really made a difference!!

Reactions: Grobe

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks guys! I managed to extract the broken piece of plastic, fit it into the new cable, and slowly clip it in, and it works! Of course it's not exactly ideal so Ill buy a new hdd and move the data across, but the data isnt lost!

Thanks for the help, really made a difference!!

You are very fortunate! That can be very tricky to put back on; I'm glad you found the piece and it appeared to be whole.

Please buy two drives. I'm worried that you were relieved that your data isn't lost. Not that I wanted to you to lose your data, but if you're ever in a position in which the sudden death of a hard drive causes you to lose important data, you do not have a sufficient backup plan. It's a basic part of PC upkeep, no different than changing the oil in your car or the filter in your furnace!

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran