Question trouble connecting to local network

Apr 9, 2019
I am having trouble connecting a new pc using windows 10 to a local network of four other PCs. The four exiting PCs have not trouble accessing each others shared files but the new PC can only access two of the four PCs and none of the other PCs can access the new PC.

Please confirm that you have checked the usual connectivity requirements as below:

1. IPV4 configuration is either set to a valid, non conflicting address or automatic (DHCP). Check if the netmask matches the netmask from the other working computers. To confirm this, ping the other hosts by address.

2. DNS. Check that this PC can solve the names of the others by pinging by hostname. It should resolve to the correct IP addresses for each one.

3. Firewall. Check that windows firewall allows incoming connections on ports used by file sharing and network discovery. Since it it a home network, you could disable firewall this network.

4. Windows services. Check that file sharing and network discovery are enabled.

if none of this works, pleas post the outcome so we can investigate further.

Apr 9, 2019
Please confirm that you have checked the usual connectivity requirements as below:

1. IPV4 configuration is either set to a valid, non conflicting address or automatic (DHCP). Check if the netmask matches the netmask from the other working computers. To confirm this, ping the other hosts by address.

2. DNS. Check that this PC can solve the names of the others by pinging by hostname. It should resolve to the correct IP addresses for each one.

3. Firewall. Check that windows firewall allows incoming connections on ports used by file sharing and network discovery. Since it it a home network, you could disable firewall this network.

4. Windows services. Check that file sharing and network discovery are enabled.

if none of this works, pleas post the outcome so we can investigate further.

1. I checked the IPV4 value with ipconfig/all and it set to the address of the new PC.
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Brandy
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-85-84-B0-40-D6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2603:9001:6c07:cf00:2571:547a:9550:3b91(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2603:9001:6c07:cf00:200c:3218:c15c:1337(Deprecated)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2603:9001:6c07:cf00:81ba:f8b3:68e2:285d(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2603:9001:6c07:cf00:acd2:4b1b:cf6e:957f(Deprecated)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2571:547a:9550:3b91%15(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.17(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 26, 2019 9:11:02 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:11:07 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5eb0:66ff:fe0c:1f57%15
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 129533316
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-24-2D-A0-CC-B8-85-84-B0-40-D6
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.62
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-B6-D0-C2-26-3F
Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9E-B6-D0-C2-26-3F
Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-B6-D0-C2-26-3F

2. I did a ping of a PC I can not access with thee results:
Pinging Buster [fe80::1c9a:bcb6:2d8e:c7ce%15] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::1c9a:bcb6:2d8e:c7ce%15: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::1c9a:bcb6:2d8e:c7ce%15:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

3. I turned off the firewall with the same result: \\BUSTER is not accessible ...

4. file sharing and network discovery are enabled.

I noticed a few weird things that you might help clear up. Your NIC seems to be connecting through a gateway at 192.168.0.1, which is pretty normal, but then it has a public DNS server set and also an IPV6 address that's in a different network than your router (gateway at fe80, NIC at 2603). Was any of this manually configured? My guess is that either the IPV6 network setting or the DNS server setting is screwing up your local share.

Frankly, I'm not even sure how your computer was able to resolve BUSTER's hostname since its a local hostname that a public DNS server couldn't possibly resolve. It probably fell back to a secondary DNS that is local, or there's maybe an entry in the host file.

Please try to access a specific share instead of the host root. If you haven't shared anything in BUSTER pc, use a hidden share such as \\BUSTER\c$. This should prompt for an user credential with admin access and open the local C: volume.

If this also doesn't work, try the same using buster's local IPV4 address, so: \\192.168.0.X\c$

Apr 9, 2019
I noticed a few weird things that you might help clear up. Your NIC seems to be connecting through a gateway at 192.168.0.1, which is pretty normal, but then it has a public DNS server set and also an IPV6 address that's in a different network than your router (gateway at fe80, NIC at 2603). Was any of this manually configured? My guess is that either the IPV6 network setting or the DNS server setting is screwing up your local share.

Frankly, I'm not even sure how your computer was able to resolve BUSTER's hostname since its a local hostname that a public DNS server couldn't possibly resolve. It probably fell back to a secondary DNS that is local, or there's maybe an entry in the host file.

Please try to access a specific share instead of the host root. If you haven't shared anything in BUSTER pc, use a hidden share such as \\BUSTER\c$. This should prompt for an user credential with admin access and open the local C: volume.

If this also doesn't work, try the same using buster's local IPV4 address, so: \\192.168.0.X\c$

The router was not manually configured. In the router configuration LAN settings, Enable DHCP server was set, and DNS override was not set. I tried " \\BUSTER\c$" and "\\192.168.0.X\c$" with the same results: Windows can't find 'Buster\DataOne$'.
All of the 'old' PC are set to public and I have not had any trouble with accessing files on them.
If the IPV6 network setting or the DNS server setting are messed up how can I fix that?

Last edited:
The router was not manually configured. In the router configuration LAN settings, Enable DHCP server was set, and DNS override was not set. I tried " \\BUSTER\c$" and "\\192.168.0.X\c$" with the same results: Windows can't find 'Buster\DataOne$'.
All of the 'old' PC are set to public and I have not had any trouble with accessing files on them.
If the IPV6 network setting or the DNS server setting are messed up how can I fix that?

Well, for correcting IPV6 you could do as jsmithepa suggested and disable it altogether. It isn't necessary as long as IPV4 is configured. For the DNS server, you could either set your router as a DNS server if it supports that, or leave it as is and configure the Windows Workgroup. Could you please tell us the Windows version for the PCs involved, and also the workgroup setting for them. You can find that in "system" (shortcut win + pause/break). If you can't find a workgroup, check if there's a domain configured instead.

Apr 9, 2019
Well, for correcting IPV6 you could do as jsmithepa suggested and disable it altogether. It isn't necessary as long as IPV4 is configured. For the DNS server, you could either set your router as a DNS server if it supports that, or leave it as is and configure the Windows Workgroup. Could you please tell us the Windows version for the PCs involved, and also the workgroup setting for them. You can find that in "system" (shortcut win + pause/break). If you can't find a workgroup, check if there's a domain configured instead.

I disabled IPV6 and it did not make any difference. I am running Windows 10 Pro on the PCs and they are all connected to the same Workgroup BIGDOGS.