Trouble connecting to websites

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Alright so my issue is that starting the other day when i tried to get onto a website it gave the
Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

I still have an internet connecting at the time and can still connect to youtube and some other websites. But i don't think its just this one website that's just "down" cause there are several that are not up and working but i can bring up on my phone. i tried to use a different wireless connection but it told me i could not even connect to it.

This is a new Asus Model# G46VW on windows 8 (New computer so did upgrade from windows 7)

I went to the tech support page and installed all the updates for the drivers. Still wont get anything new, deleted my cache, cookies, uninstalled drivers and reinstalled them. still no good. I tried to /Run Ping www.Website.xxx -t on the websites that work, and it gives a proper set no time outs, but when i try to on a website that doesn't work it wont even ping the site. (tried on a different website that is not connecting and it is giving a ping for it)

Honestly im not very tech savvy so any help would be great, and i hope i put this in the correct forum area if not let me know Thank You

That message means the server actually sent you a reset message. The server detected some issue with something you are doing. A reset is forced close of the session it is not your side that detected and closed it.

Of course the server could just be messed up. It is extremely difficult to determine what the server does not like from your end. Pretty much the standard issues are related to trash that is cached but if you have cleared the cache then that should have fixed it if that was the problem.

I would try a different browser sometime sites have issues with certain browser software levels.

This can also be caused by a proxy or a firewall in the path but you generally know if you are using those services.

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I used internet explorer but that didn't work. Also I tried to instal a game and it required .NET network frame 3.5 but it would tell me that I am not connected to the internet when I actually am

Okay some basics:

What Antivirus do you use? I would remove it and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVAST! or AVG and do a full system scan, these are more reliable.
Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware)

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to tell us WHAT your computer is
Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING?
Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I use the System Defender that comes with windows 8
Operating System
Windows 8 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3210M @ 2.50GHz 44 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G46VW (SOCKET 0) 44 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
447GB SanDisk SDSSDX480GG25 (SSD) 31 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Yes i have downloaded all the updates and all the drivers from my GeForce Experience panel and from the intel utility download center.
Ill let you know if your suggestion works but thats all my computers info

System Defender is a placebo and does not perform that well as compared to many other solutions per two independent labs that test every month. AVAST! or AVG are free. I would uninstall System Defender, then install Avast! or AVG and do a scan. None of these will really check well for malware as Malwarebytes does, and I would, as suggested, download and run a full scan.

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
so i ran bolth AVAST! and malwarebytes, did a full scan with bolth. Removed all the malware that they caught, but still getting the error when i try to connect to the websites or try to install .NET netframe 3.5

A FULL scan does not take 30 min, it takes at least a hour. Please recheck that you select FULL and not the DEFAULT QUICK scan. There is probably more.

Run Windows Update, keep running and install all options EXCEPT BING. Based on your SPECCY you did NOT run all updates, as the current supported version of Windows is 8.1, not 8. This may require you going to the Windows Store and selecting it from there.

Download and run Slim Drivers, that covers other parts and is relevant as I suggested.

IF all this does not work, you will have to use the System Recovery to 'keep your data' and restore Windows back to when you first ever started the computer, wiping the computer of all programs, settings, etc. hopefully successfully.

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
i ran all the malware scans at FULL SCAN not quick scan, I'm not updating to 8.1 I'm keeping it at windows 8, I already updated all my drivers with slim drivers, and I have already done a system recovery, I've even done a full system wipe by reinstalling windows 8

Why are you not upgrading to 8.1? All the 'patches' will not be applied to 8 anymore only 8.1 . It fixes alot under the hood and I already did it for my Thinkpad 2 tablet, works quite better I must say as well.

Personally this would be the step I would go because it does not seem the Windows 8 your recovering from is dirty / tampered considering "Removed all the malware that they caught" . I am of the mind you most likely would have a RootKit or just plain old broken files including the recovery element at this point and would best suggesting having your Win8 DVD on hand, make a DBAN Cd, wipe the computer clean then do a clean from DVD install / factory install of Win8.

I am guessing you did do these tests to validate RIGHT NOW Windows doesn't work:
Create new account, under new account test Internet Explorer to get to Tomshardware.com or BBC.com etc. - result?
Install Chrome, same test - result?

Is this computer still under warranty? If it is, and a recovery of Windows didn't fix things, a full system wipe didn't fix it, and further if a DBAN wipe then reinstall to bare harddrive doesn't work, then your looking at a hardware error most likely. At the very least if you did a DBAN wipe then installed the FACTORY CDs (I believe you mentioned Win7) it should work, unless there is a hardware issue.

Also you did make sure the 'OFF' manual switch for Wifi on the side / via keyboard combo (see your Manual) is set to ON correct?

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Ok the only problem is that i dont have a set of blank CDs to put the DBAN onto. do you think upgrading to windows 8.1 might work without having to go out and buy some blanks just to do a DBAN?

Blank DVD at DollarTree for ... whopping $1. But as I said, upgrading to 8.1 replaces keyfiles, AND is the supported and programmed against current code (not 8.0). Given this what is the worst it could do to your system at this point? Not fix it? Possibly, because we don't know which files are bad and can't know, but realistically as 8.1 patches many key files, the ones that are bad would most likely be replaced with the 8.1 code and 'fix the problem'. Just like many people had issues 'suddenly' on websites because they were still using IE9, but were all fixed by updating to the latest IE (which include all the 'internet code' to be online for any program using Windows).

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Alright so i went and ran the DBAN, did a complete wipe, reinstalled windows 8, reinstalled at the drivers, still same issue and when i went to run the update to 8.1 i could not find the update in the store even though the windows 8.1 compatability test said i could update to it. but even with the ful system wipe it still is giving me the connection reset

Then you proved (also to the hardware maker) you potentiall have a hardware issue. So to 'prove' this on a clean install, 1) if this is ONLY wireless issue try via Wired, does it work there? 2) while wired in (turn off wireless) turn off any firewalls (Windows Firewall) and try again. If it still is having issues, then you can prove both wired and wirelessly your having issues, even with a fresh Windows Install and contact the maker for support IF under warranty. If this is no longer under warranty, then you have two choice, either bring it to a IT shop to MAYBE get a estimate on the cost (Starts at $150) or replace the system (i5s basically are around $399, which is about the same as the costs to diagnosis then try to repair).

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Don't be so quick to blame hardware. I have a similar issue where everything works fine in one Windows User Account (Administrator) and not in another (Standard user). My system is connected via Ethernet. The issue started after installation of a malicious toolbar.

The error comes up on my system after I've done a search in Chrome and select one of the results....Hmm, I just had a thought about a solution. After I try it I'll be back.

You are correct that it is "potentially" a hardware issue, but it could be something else.

AHEM: Did you miss the part that he WIPED the system and this was a FRESH Windows install? Your issue was due to Malware in your system. Don't just toss stuff on the wall to 'answer' a thread without reading THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Okay so hardline works and the system performs as normal. Wireless is the issue then. Log into the Router's Admin page, remove what security settings you have for it (WAP, WAP2, etc.) then unplug Ethernet. Remove the 'router' profile under the wireless, then try and reattach with no password (since you turned it off) Does it work now?

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Well that would be a valid point if I hadn't also done a fresh install as well. I believe my problem came back when I transferred my system settings back with Windows Easy Transfer. Mine was a "fresh install" until I transferred files back. Was his completely pristine with no legacy files?

In fact, it appears that I have managed to solve the problem by deleting a folder which contained some of the Smartbar dll files that were part of the malware.

I'm not saying that it isn't a hardware problem, just suggesting that if the hardware "fixes" aren't working maybe there is an issue with malware.

I was also suggesting that maybe he had more than one Windows User Account on the system and since he only ever used one he didn't know if the problem existed on all accounts or just the one.

As far as "tossin" stuff out, sometimes that is what is needed to get the thinking off the wrong track. I was a computer operator for years and watched Systems Programmers beat their heads against the monitor for hours and then someone would ask, "Could it be?" and "Duh oh" problem solved.

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

So Blue that is true it did bring some of the Chrome files back and there might be a malware issue, where by any chance would one look to maybe get rid of said files?

spellhydro45

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
alright well i give up iv tried everything and you just just want to seem to go after each other than look into the problem. thanks for the help but i think im going to take it in to a shop to look at it

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
If you remember the names of the malware (mine was Smartbar by ReSoft associated with Snap . do) you can search your system drive for those. I found mine in Program Files (x86) in a folder named LPT. I deleted the LPT folder while in Safe Mode and that seemed to clear up this problem. I just guessed that LPT wasn't needed since that was an old connection associated with printers and I had found a post about someone who found malware in a folder named LP. Just a hunch based on experience.

I found the answer for this problem (ERR_CONNECTION_RESET) because I was receiving an error when I started up Chrome in the Standard User account. The error said: "Your preferences can not be read. Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved." The solutions to this problem started with deleting a possibly corrupt profile and then creating a new one. Search for this error message to find better explanations. I also tried uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling which didn't solve either problem but probably didn't hurt anything and may work since it appeared to work for some people.

I also had a good idea about when the "Your preferences" problem started so I went into the c:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data folder and deleted several items from around that date. This seemed to cause a new problem but after a restart things seemed to work fine. I call it the "fiddle factor." I probably wouldn't do it to someone else's system but sometimes you just have to follow your gut and fiddle with things until you fix it or break it bad enough to start over.

I hope this helps. I know it is not a step by step answer, but sometimes there isn't one. Of course all this could change or be fixed in a month when Chrome 34 is released. Or it can have nothing to do with Chrome or whatever else we think is causing the problem. That's what keeps Tom's forums in business.

Bluecat: Your on the wrong path here. Your issue is COMPLETELY different at this point, and should be it's own thread then hijacking the OPs. The problem the OP has as this point is a wireless issue, which is A) the device itself B) the router. As OP doesn't even know to READ the MANUAL on his ROUTER to understand how to manage it, this would be the best point to STOP with COMPLETELY WRONG suggestions and instead let the OP hire someone to help him. He needs a IN PERSON solution.

As for your issue Blue, I don't care if you watched programmers, your suggestion was NOT part of this solution, and in fact your own MISTAKES continued to cause the problems (restoring your data without a proper Malware / Antivirus scan to remove it before hand). Further synch Chrome does not induce Malware (that would mean Google's servers were infected which would lead to MULTI MILLION dollar lawsuits, so they do EVERYTHING possible to ensure they aren't).

All your solutions are 'delete things till it works' and is DANGEROUS and INCOMPETENT. Be the same thing as cutting wires and removing screws from your Engine in your car because your not a mechanic, and so you keep trying till you make the car stop making that noise and drive right. ALSO BAD ADVICE.